Having Bladder removed

12 years 8 months ago #38803 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Having Bladder removed
Really? Dr Lamm is going into surgery? He's been in oncology for so long and the expert on BCG i had no idea he was back practicing surgery?
What kind of diversion are you looking at? An Ileal conduit, neo bladder, or internal pouch such as the Indiana pouch?
There is always some kind of flora and fauna in a man made pouch but unless you're symptomatic you do not treat it. If you have a very experienced surgeon you should not get back up to the kidneys and infection. Not emptying completely can cause a problem...or if when you have an Ileal you do not change the bag enough......I don't know why some people suffer from infections and others do not. I have the Indiana Pouch and in 8 l/2 yrs have never had an infection but with the Indiana there is a valve that keeps the urine from backing up. I think the key to all of this is a top surgeon.
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #38799 by kmcintosh
Having Bladder removed was created by kmcintosh
I'm having bladder remover Sept 8th in Phoenix, Az by Dr. Lamm.
I have been having e-coli infections every since I was diagnosed in May 2009.
I have talked to one other man who had his bladder removed back in Nov. 2010 and is having E-coli infections, but is have worse infections because he has no bladder, so the infection is going to the kidney, and causing him to stay in hospital and it's not getting any better.
Has anyone else had there bladder removed out their and having e-coli infections?
Now I'm not sure if I should be having my bladder removed.
The Chemo is working and I had a choice of keeping my bladder and having radiation, the that would proboaby caues inconsideds.
Now I don't know what to think.
I had asked the dr. what would he do and he said would have the bladder removed, but that was before I found out about how bad an and how often the e-coli infections could get.
Any news or answers out there would be helpful in my decision.
Thank you, Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne