DRIVING

12 years 11 months ago #37808 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic DRIVING
Dana. Driving, Really? I love my classic cars and driving them. But driving is going to be the last thing on your husbands mind for quit awhile. I have had a lot of surgeries, etc. over the last 20yrs. and this neo surgery and recovery is right up there when it comes to pain!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #37803 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic DRIVING
6 weeks is the magic number for him to take the wheel...for all of the reasons Catherine mentioned.

12 years 11 months ago #37799 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic DRIVING
Hi Dana... I understand your concern about your husband and I hope all goes well with his surgery. As far as driving, I only had a partial cystectomy (open surgery) and I was told not to drive for two weeks post surgery. His time may be longer because his surgery is more invasive than mine was with the bladder being removed. He is going to be pretty sore for several weeks.

Even though it may feel like it's not strenuous, any action of the legs and feet puts stress on the abdominal muscles where the incision will be, plus the internal sutures where things have been rerouted. It is vital that nothing gets pulled loose or torn internally.

Secondly, driving or even riding in a car for the first little bit puts one at risk of being in an accident that would traumatize the surgical area... even a minor one.

He will need to get over his "thing" about driving for a while. I understand that because I have a phobia about other people driving as well, but I had to rely on a trusted friend to drive me the 300 miles (483 kilometers) home from the hospital.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 11 months ago #37798 by Dana
DRIVING was created by Dana
Another quick question, my husband has this thing about driving, how soon after a radical cystectomy will he be able to drive, not to strenuous or far, just driving?
P.S I realise how serious this surgery is but I don't want to over worry my husband too much, yet anyway.
His surgery is next week.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne