Top RC doc in San Diego?

12 years 11 months ago #37673 by BillM
Replied by BillM on topic Top RC doc in San Diego?
Hi again RysMomKB,

USC Norris is one of the top places in the country. Your son is going to want the best he can get. My urologist recommended USC Norris as one of the places to shoot for to have the best chances for outcome and survivability. He also told me you want a surgeon that does a high volume of RC’s each year, statistics prove that point. The doctors Pat has recommended at Norris are some of the best in the country and are choices you and your son would never have to second guess. The high grade bladder cancers are tough to beat in the long run, but still very treatable with the right doctors.

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
11.2.10 RC with NEO 11.18.11 First year CT shows possible liver tumor
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC
7.26.12 Final scans showed no tumor or no...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #37667 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Top RC doc in San Diego?
I am a 63yr. old and had my neo surgery close to home because i had traveled before for cancer treatment and didn't want to do it again. I got very lucky and my surgery came out great. But that said, if i have a 25yr. old son that is going to need neo surgery, I LISTEN VERY CLOSELY TO WHAT PAT HAS TO SAY. At 25 your son is going to have to live with his results for a long time. It is so important that he has the best doctors. Does going to the best guarantee anything? NO. But one is forced to play the odds and percentages. Everyone here wants the best for everyone, but even more so for a young person. If his surgery turned out correctly he can live a pretty normal life.
Wishing your son and your family the very best.
Duke

12 years 11 months ago #37648 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Top RC doc in San Diego?
They're aren't any top RC URO's in San Diego...they all traveled to L.A. Its not a bad trip if you hit the freeway at the right time. I would suggest USC/Norris who has 4 top rated Uro/Oncologists in the country.
keck.usc.edu/en/Education/Academic_Department_and_Divisions/Department_of_Urology.aspx
Drs Eila Skinner (female), Dr. Boyd, Dr. Sia Daneshmand, and Dr. Inderbir Gill.
SKinner..great personality
www.doctorsofusc.com/doctor/bio/view/72117
Daneshmand......really great personality
www.uscurology.com/doctor/bio/view/126223
Dr. Stuart Boyd
www.doctorsofusc.com/doctor/bio/view/72357
Dr. Gill is great but his love is laparoscopic renal transplantation and ground breaking removal of mets on kidneys without having to take the kidney out.
These are some of the TOP URO's anywhere.
Believe me the trip is one you will be glad you took.
pat

12 years 11 months ago #37643 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Top RC doc in San Diego?
Someone else will probably chime in with some specific names for you. But I WILL advise you to ask any potential surgeon how many such surgeries he does a year. This is the sort of thing where practice makes perfect and you want to find someone who does a LOT of these.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 11 months ago #37641 by RysMomKB
Top RC doc in San Diego? was created by RysMomKB
Does anyone have any opinions or comments on who might be a top doctor for RC in the San Diego Area? My son is being seen at UCSD Moores Cancer Center. Am reading that the doctor is critical in a successful RC with neobladder. Given that my son is only 25, we understand that there aren't alot of folks out there who have had this at that age.

Any and all opinions or comments would be welcomed.

Thank you,

Kathleen

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne