Gotta\' Go...again.

14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #27208 by irishguy
Replied by irishguy on topic Gotta\' Go...again.
Mark,

For me, one of the most difficult stages of my neo was when my surgeon first took out the catheter, four weeks after my operation. I could feel the warm sensation of urine trickling out of what seemed to be a numb void between my legs that I had absolutely no control over. This frightened me no end and at the time, I couldn’t see beyond having to wear diapers for the rest of my life. That first night after the cath was taken out was the scariest, wettest most sleepless night I’ve ever had to endure. The following night I was fitted with a condom-type device connected to a tube that lead to a bag to collect the constant flow of urine. This helped me to get a good night’s sleep at least, but also began the healing process for me. I went home with device fitted and used it for about two weeks until I felt some life come back into the area between my legs. After that, I used pads which at first I needed to change on average about two to three times a night, which became two then one. After that, I was going to the toilet on average every two hours day and night for about five months. This stage didn’t seem to be progressing much at all for me, which also frightened me. But by about the six month post op mark, I was sleeping every three hours during the night. This also didn’t progress much for me for about another six or seven months until I reached that golden four hour point. Now, after two years post-op, I can go nearly six hours during the night without a run to the toilet, (although I know I shouldn’t leave it longer than four hours mainly because of UTI’s)

Hang in there Mark, it’s a slow process, you and your body have been through hell and back. So give yourself
credit for getting this far, and in time I’m sure things will gradually improve for you.

Winning the battle :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #27205 by njmason32
Gotta\' Go...again. was created by njmason32
I would like to know how long it has taken for continence to return to you. I have read of some within weeks and others longer. I am 4 months out of neobladder surgery and still am "leaky" at best, I have an average of 2 hours between trips to the toilet and 4 hours is out of the question. I keep practicing the "keegels" but frankly it's getting old, I want some sleep that doesn't result in a diaper change. I'm hoping that some of your comments will help me to sit still and let time do its healing. Just call me frustrated.
Mark M.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne