Left leg pain after R/C

16 years 7 months ago #8267 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Left leg pain after R/C
Hi and best wishes,

I woke up from my cystectomy with a leg problem... My right leg - where the leg hit my torso - is messed up. In the beginning it felt so intense and trying to make my leg move was like pins and needs. It would fall off the bed and I couldn't pull it back, etc. After 6 months and physical therapy it is a bit better - I can walk without a strong limp. I am unable to run or move fast, and making snow angels is not possible yet. I was told it was just the was I was positioned during surgery and that it would resolve itself. It has gotten better yes, yet I have my doubts it will ever feel the same. Good luck to you, Holly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #8261 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic Left leg pain after R/C
My 81-year-old father had a radical cystectomy and prostatectomy in April of this year and about 2 months ago started having pain in his left leg. It got so bad that he took Vicodin and used a walker or cane to get around. My Dad is much younger than his years would indicate, so using a cane is not something he would choose to do.

Others have posted that they have had leg pain after this major operation, but so far, no doctor has suggested Dad's pain could be a result of the operation. Most have said it sounds to them as if he has an arthritic hip. I'm now leaning toward nerve damage during surgery. I spoke to him this evening and he told me the pain is now becoming less intense and he is even thinking of getting rid of the cane!

He has a follow-up appointment with the urologist who was also his surgeon, and I'm going to have Dad ask him about possible nerve damage as a cause of the leg pain. Seems too coincidental that so many have had this pain after their operations.

16 years 7 months ago #8258 by Gene Beane
Left leg pain after R/C was created by Gene Beane
GENE HAS HAD A PROBLEM WITH HIS LEFT LEG SINCE SURGERY. IN THE HOSPITAL HE COULD NOT LIFT IT SIDEWAYS. HE WOULD LIFT IT INTO BED HIMSELF. THIS WAS NOT A PROBLEM BEFORE. HE IS ACTUALLY TAKING HIS PAIN KILLERS BECAUSE OF HIS LEG NOT THE SURGERY. HIS BLADDER WAS REMOVED LAPRASCOPICALLY. WE HAVE A FOLLOW UP ON WEDNESDAY. THE DOCTOR CALLED TO GIVE US HIS PATH REPORT AND WE CONVEYED OUR CONCERN. HE SAID SOMETIMES THE WAY YOU LAY IN SURGERY CAN CAUSE THIS AND IT TAKES TIME TO GET IT WORKING. ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne