Good Followup but Failing Pouch Adhesion

11 years 10 months ago #42239 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic Good Followup but Failing Pouch Adhesion
hi
Have you tried Ekin Seals? They work wonders for leaks. I too had the same problem and someone suggested the seals and I have had maybe 2 leaks in about 3 years.
Good luck
Barbara

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #42235 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Good Followup but Failing Pouch Adhesion
Your assure 14717 looks much like my Hollister 8488. You might want to check with your stoma nurse first but I found from time to time my skin would be tacky and unhappy with the bag adhesives and routine cleaning. My stoma nurse suggested a 4/1 mix of vinegar/water. This neutralizes the skin. I now use it on every other pouch change.

A day & half is not so good. I am comfortable with 4 day cycles. I date mine with a magic marker.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

11 years 10 months ago #42233 by RBH
The good news: At 16 months post-surgery and 18 months post-chemo for T2 bladder cancer along with prostate cancer, I'm clean so far.

The not-so-good news: I've used Coloplast's Assura 14717 urostomy pouch on a lower right quadrant stoma since my surgery (bladder & prostate both gone) 16 months ago. For the first 14 months post-surgery I had no pouch problems at all--good adhesion with average wear time just at 6 days (yes, I kept track). For the last two months, though, with no changes in procedure or supplies or body shape, I've been springing leaks left and right, almost exclusively at night whilst sleeping. My average wear time is down to 1.5 days/pouch.

I use Unisolve adhesive remover, wash carefully with plain Dial, dry carefully, use the same skin prep, and warm the pouch top before pressing it over the stoma. Again, no changes in procedure or materials of body shape/weight. At night I plug a drain tube into the valve of the pouch, and there's plenty of slack in the tube, and drainage appears to be OK.

I can't figure out what the heck is going on with the increased frequency of leaks. Anyone have any ideas? I called Coloplast and they sent me another box of pouches, and I'll start using them when my current pouch pops a gasket. Maybe it's a bad couple of pouch lots? Anyone run into that?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne