Back from hospital

12 years 10 months ago #37966 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Back from hospital
Dana,

Glad that things have gone so well.

If he doesn't need protection during the day already he is WAY ahead of the normal situation. Usually takes a month or more to have that much control during the day. As to night, that typically takes a good bit longer but most acheive night time continence (but need to get up a couple/few times a night).

Gas and tired is normal. It can take six months to be fully recovered from such a major surgery.

It sounds like he is doing GREAT!!!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #37965 by Dana
Back from hospital was created by Dana
My husband and I just returned from hospital yesterday after a 16 day stay, my husband had a radical cystectomy and a neo bladder made.
During this time I received many messages from the site either with advice or good wishes, which I thank you for. I went into hospital aware of what would happen without a lot of fear due to this. It was a very difficut period for my family and thankfully we have gotton through the first part (I know we have a long way ahead of us).
As many of you know my husband was diagnosed with Grade 3 non-invasive T1 cancer about 40 days ago, which became invasive in less than a month, leading to the above outcome. We are still awaiting biopsy results from after the surgery.
He had open surgery and it went extremely well and our doctor and the staff were fantastic. I need some help about a few things however.
1. He doessn't wear protection during the day and holds his urine about 2 hours (with a slight leak at times), the doctor said to add more time in about a week. At night we have a little problem. Is this O.K? Will he learn to control his new bladder in time?
2. His stitches hurt a little, he has gas and he feels tired.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne