Bladder cancer and chronic pain

17 years 2 months ago #3670 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Bladder cancer and chronic pain
Gosh, E,

I'm sorry to meet you under these circumstances, but I am glad you are posting.  Your story sounds so similar to mine.  

I've had chronic pelvic pain since I was 35 years old.  It would get really, really bad sometimes.  It was on my left side.  I've been told it was adenomyosis, but then I developed a benign ovarian tumor on the left side.  The pain only increased after tumor removal.  The doc said "See if you can last through menopause. "  I'm there.  Last year I asked for a hysterectomy, I said, "I don't know if I can live like this. :'("  The doc said he would do the hysterectomy but he couldn't guarantee that the pain would stop.
I opted not to have the surgery.

When I was told that I had a bladder tumor, I said, "It's on the left side, isn't it?"  And the Uro said , "It's on the right side".... :o :-? :-/  

I was on Elavil for 2 years after the birth of my second baby.  It helped me a lot with depression.

So, did your OB find your bladder "polyp" during an ultrasound?  I am curious about that....

Wishing you the very best,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 months ago #3669 by El
Hello, this is my first time to reply as I am brand new to Bladder Cancer. I had chronic pain for three years in the pelvic area my OB and two other doctors I went to did not know what my pain was from. a doctor in Florida suggested ir was Vulvadyna = chronic pain in pelvic area. My pain was so bad that I had to sit on ice packs to numb myself, bathing would help and of course pain pills worked. Last July my OB put me on Elavil for pain it also helps with depression which I certainly qualified for with all that pain. Having said that I was just diagnoised with Bladder Cancer and Urtheral Cancer I will have my surgery February 27th in Sloan Kettering. When I asked if the pain I had will be no more he said he could not guarantee that having my bladder, urthera and historectomy removed will stop that pain. My OB said I do have varicose veins in my vaginal area and that maybe the blood pools in that area but in the end I will wait and see. My Vulvadyna(?) could last up to 6 weeks at a time. I had it about 3-4 times since 2003. I will tell my OB about this painful bladder syndrome. I also am very interested in this site.
By the way no doctor ever suggested I see a urologist during this time. My OB saw a polyp and sent me to a urologist that was when I was told I had Bladder Cancer. El :'(

trying to learn how to take one day at a time.
RC March 2, 2007
Memorial Sloane Kettering Hospital

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne