New Here . . .

13 years 3 months ago #36095 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic New Here . . .
Hi Rayn, I was just reading the post and wanted to tell you you are not a crazy person for wanting the best for you husband.
I to am a hiker and if all goes well I will hike the AT trail this spring. I kinda look at all this like preparing for a hike. You just don,t take off for the woods with no prep, it is to easy to run in to trouble and not make it if you do.
Maybe you can get your husband to start thinking of this as a trip, there are certain things you have to do to survive in the wilderness. ( cancer being the wilderness) I hate preparing for a trip in the woods,but to survive you have to do it.
The view from the top of the mountain is beautiful and it takes hard work to get there , but most people think it is worth it.
There are many here that can give you all the info you need , and many of us that will be praying for The Lord to move your husband in the direction he needs to go. Have courage, Rocky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #36041 by LoveMyHusband
Replied by LoveMyHusband on topic New Here . . .
Hi Cynthia,

It takes an enormous amount of courage to share how you felt.

In fact, I sent my husband an e-mail and did the "What If's". today. He hasn't changed his position, but at least we're talking about it. It's not easy and he still wants to do the surgery in August which is way too long. the conversation stopped there. He wasn't willing to talk anymore at that point.

This isn't over. It'll take a day or two of him thinking about it. He knows I love him more than my own life and I told him so. It gives us a ground to stand on so we can talk without fighting.

He needs to recover from this last surgery and that will take at least two months. If he goes with the BCG and the Cysto, it's going to take another two months of healing. If the BCG works, there's absolutely no guarantee that the cancer won't come back more aggressively.

I appreciate your honesty. It kind of validates that I'm really not this crazy woman that's over reacting.

Best regards, Rayn

13 years 3 months ago #36039 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic New Here . . .
Rayn,

One thought for your husband lets play what if. What if he waits the six months and the cancer spreads in such a way they can not do nerve sparing or the neobladder? Either is possible.

I have a confession to make. I was a lot like your husband I would have done anything to get out of having a Radical Cystectomy the thought terrified me to the point that losing my bladder was the enemy not the cancer.

I was stage 2b high grade with CIS when my bladder cancer was found. I decided not to have an RC and opted instead to enter into a clinical trial to save my bladder. What followed was eight months of radiation and systemic chemotherapy. And within three months it returned this time non invasive but still high grade and CIS. I was told RC was the best chance I had but I could try BCG if I did not opt for an RC. I was going to beat this thing so off to BCG I went and the tumors grew as I was doing the BCG. And this time one of the tumors was in my Urethra.

I now look back and realize how lucky I am that I am still here this is not something to play with. If it has shown itself to be aggressive as it has for myself and your husband it is just that and should be treated as such.

I can not comment on sexuality and the male situation following RC but there are a lot of men here that can. You will hear different stories but one thing in common the ones that regain function share is that they placed themselves in the most experienced surgical hands they could find. Ask your husband how tragic it would be if he lost his sexuality due to the fact he waited and a new tumor took away the options he has now.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

13 years 3 months ago #36034 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic New Here . . .
Thanks Duke! Hope you are doing well also.
Support comes in many ways. Sometimes it's holding a hand and sometimes it's a smack upside the head!

Mike :)

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago #36033 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic New Here . . .
Thanks! Not really vacation. We only live 2 hours from Winter Park so my son and I drove up for the day . I love Colorado! :)

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago #36032 by LoveMyHusband
Replied by LoveMyHusband on topic New Here . . .
You go Guy!!! How cool is that? Neither of us are snow skiers. We like our feet on the ground. He loves golf and we love hiking, rock climbing and hill climbing.

We had to put all that on hold when he had these tumors taken out. It really did a number on him. The catheter came out as soon as we got home and we had to go to the ER to get it put back in. That was a mess because the doctor pretty much ignored him for 2 hours.

He got it taken out last Thursday and he's been bleeding ever since. Not gushing by any means, but we've had to use depends for the last 3 days. He's in pain. Vicodin helps but being constipated isn't fun. There was scar tissue in his urethera and it was causing a lot of urination problems so they removed it and he had a catheter in for 10 days. Now he's really sore. Poor guy.

Anyway, enjoy your vacation.

Best regards, Rayn

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne