Kidney pain

13 years 6 months ago #34392 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Kidney pain
Double ureters can sometimes cause problems, even in the absence of bladder cancer, bladder removal, etc. Reflux into the kidney(s)can cause infection and/or damage to the kidney (from the backed up urine). One of our daughters had repeated kidney infections (several a year) throughout the latter part of her high school years and during college. She was finally diagnosed with double ureters and had corrective surgery just before her senior year. She fortunately didn't have any kidney damage. Interestingly, one of my step-daughter's (half sister to my daughter) children was found to have the same condition at the age of 2, and also had surgery; she did have some kidney damage, but not too bad. Apparently it's not uncommon, and a lot of people never have problems so never know they have double ureters.

I suspect rearranging the plumbing could cause problems with the double ureters when there hadn't been in any before.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #34391 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Kidney pain
I have lost one kidney and had my other ureter repaired due to scar tissue of the ureter. Small changes in the CT's suggesting reflux they assumed was from backup from the diversion was the first sign, then bladder pain and then blockage. This was a process that took almost a year both times,if it were a blockage the key is to catch it early. I found out the problem was that the people reading the CT's did not deal with a great number of my type of diversion, even though a major center for bladder cancer. It could be something or nothing but lets hope they get to the bottom of it for you soon.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

13 years 6 months ago #34387 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Kidney pain
Mike; thanks so much for your response. I am continuously amazed at how great you and others are at helping; THANKS!
On getting my ct report straight from lab. Yes i have been thinking about what you always say on that, and i use to do that myself. But i have to admit with my history i have been
a little apprehensive this time. Am going to try to work up the nerve today. Again, thanks Mike'
Holly; glad you decided to join us again. Thanks so much for
your resonse! I am so sorry you are having trouble again and
i hope your surgery will cure your problem and help you feel better. Your response give me a few other things to think about my problem being other then the cancer returning. I too
have a duplicate ureter on one side. Don't know if that is good or bad, but a spare may come in handy someday i guess.
My tests have been coming back negative for infections, so don't think that is my problem. Mikes response shows there is
a higher risk of stones, so maybe? Going to go have some more
tests this afternoon. I think i just need to buck up and go get my ct results like Mike said. Thanks for your resonses.
Duke

13 years 6 months ago #34386 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Kidney pain
Hi,

( This is Holly - mznoregrets :) I have been lurking but unable to log on with my screen name - so I got this new one!)

My RC/neo is 3 1/2 years back and I am still here! I have also had blood in urine and stones. In April the CT showed both kidneys and ureters to be distended. The pain was great and I was found to have a big infection. It was better after antibiotics but things were not ok. They found in urodynamic testing that the right ureters (which are duplicate and small) were allowing back up into the kidney. On the left I have scar tissue binding the ureter but the kidney was not hydronephotic. Have they ruled out scar tissue binding?
I am scheduled to have "undiversion" surgery in a few weeks. 3 surgeons are going to get rid of adhesions and take my appendix and hopefully make my neo a resivior. If they can't do it I will have a bag, but my kidneys should be better.
Also, urine tests can identify the likelhood of stones. My uro has correctly ordered ct's based on lab findings. Maybe your uro ran those? Good luck!

13 years 6 months ago #34385 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Kidney pain
Duke,

I found this on Webcafe and it says there is an increased risk of kidney stones after cystectomy. http://b lcwebcafe.org/cystectomy.asp

You should be able to get your CT report in 24 hours from the time of the scan (unless you did it over the weekend).
I usually ask for a copy to be faxed to me as soon as the report is available and sign the paper for that while I am there for the scan. If you didn't do that, you may want to call the place that did the scan and see what you need to do to get it.

I think it is better than waiting for the doctor to look at it (but that's just me).

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 6 months ago #34383 by dukel
Kidney pain was created by dukel
Looking for a little info. Had my neo about ten months ago. Everything has been going good, but the last few months i,ve been having increasing kidney pain. Went to my family Dr., tests show a little blood in urine. Waiting for ct scan results??? Are kidney stones more common after an R/C??? Pain is worse when sitting. Any of this sound normal for post r/c??? More tests and urologist appointment in two weeks. Guess i'm just getting antsy.
Thanks, Duke

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne