Flushing

13 years 9 months ago #33161 by PittProf
Replied by PittProf on topic Flushing
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try them all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #33160 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Flushing
Is this a Foley catheter? or are you self cathing?

Yes, I had that problem with a Foley, I always though I was sucking on the bladder wall. As Mike said, try pumping a bit. Try rotaing (spinning) the catheter. Try pushing the catheter in father. Try taking a break for 15 minutes or so, and try again.
I know it is scaring not to be able to suck anything out, but one of the techniques above should work.

Enjoy your vacation, Jim

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

13 years 9 months ago #33159 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Flushing
Its a bit different with the Indiana Pouch. Every institution seems to have their own instructions on flushing. But what i got from The Cleveland Clinic was to instill 30cc's each time i cath for the first couple of weeks and then move the catheter back and forth just a bit..if the saline does not come out try another 30cc's and repeat. Its not necessary to get it all back out..it will break down the mucus eventually. If you're getting a tight suction which feels like the cath won't move just relax for a moment with the cath still in you and wait for it to release. If it doesn't don't worry about it...it will come out the next time. I still 8 yrs later will have a moment with "Hal" my stoma who says "Hey i'm going to grab onto this thing and make your life miserable"...And then he relents and allows me in eventually. Sometimes its...well, not sometimes, but always have a second cath on hand. If one doesn't work the other usually will. The hospital gave me non-latex(as i have an allergy to latex) Dover Rob Nel 14" french l6" long caths . They are more rigid than a softer one. I actually got free samples on the internet to make a decision on a softer cath which is the Coloplast Mentor non-latex clear 14" french 16" long. Its a bit more flexible than the Dovers and i find i use them all the time in the early morning when i'm fuller after sleeping all night. Here's a link to the Mentors
www.mentorcatheter.com/intermittent-catheters-c7206/mentor-self-cath-soft-sterile-p192499.html
Also a little trick...when that cath is in you force a big cough..that sometimes gets the mucus out.
Pat

13 years 9 months ago #33158 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Flushing
OK. I'm making the assumption that you are talking about flushing a new newbladder through the connection point in the foley catheter.

If so, try instilling about 25% of the syringe and then kind of pumping back and forth with the syringe. About a quarter to half. It will draw mucous in and push it back out again but the pumping action helps clear blocks and kind of dilutes.

My wife always did mine for me which was a great deal for me.

But I do remember the nurses doing that in the hospital when they flushed it as well as my wife doing it at home. I do recall one nurse that ran into the problem you described (she was flushing mine) and I told her about pumping it back and forth and it worked great.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 9 months ago #33157 by PittProf
Flushing was created by PittProf
I'm hoping someone may have a bit of advice. I spoke to Melodie and was curious if anyone else has difficulty when flushing. I don't have any problem with the syringe when inserting the saline but when I attempt to withdraw, a suction is created and I can't withdraw anything. I know I have a lot of mucus since it will clog my cath on occasion. I'm at a loss as to what's causing this. I was hoping to take a bit of a vacation before I start my chemo but I don't feel comfortable leaving until I can resolve this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne