Newly Diagnosed- Invasive bladder cancer

17 years 3 months ago #3229 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Newly Diagnosed- Invasive bladder cancer
I'm sorry to hear about what you are needing to deal with. I understand some of the feelings as I spent the first six weeks being sick to my stomach after learning my husband's results from his biopsy. He acquired a neobladder October 12, 2006 and is now doing chemo. We are glad to be at this point and pleased with the treatment he is getting and his progress (though there are challenges, struggles, and ups and downs). However, we did keep reevaluating and questioning at different stages.

We know we are in excellent hands at a top cancer center so that helps with some of the stress and decisions but questioning is good in our belief. I would encourage you to get a second opinion just so you can feel comfortable that you did what you could prior to the surgery.

This website is a blessing.

Good luck, Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #3223 by Jeff_Gill
Replied by Jeff_Gill on topic Newly Diagnosed- Invasive bladder cancer
sorry to hear about your husband.
i'm 59 very active was dx in may 05.
I had my bladder/prostre removed last wedesday.
still in hospitial. When the uro told us I had advance prstrate cancer.
He wanted to remove everything. I almost went there.
I told himI was thinking of another type.
He said he didn't do one in ten years but if that was what I wanted he would do it for me. I told him where did you send the lab report for the second opion? he said The U.o.w.
I told him send me there too.

Idon't know what your husband is getting but sounded to me what i was going to get. what i got was a neobladder i will piss just like befor.
you need a 2nd opinon at least.
god bless
jeff

17 years 3 months ago #3221 by JLake
:-/

My husband(56) was diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer last Thursday- 1/11/07. They are scheduling to take out his bladder and reconstruct it using the Studor method. The Drs have pretty good credentials ( Both on the Team were trained at Mayo in Rochester MN and said they have done 100's of these surgeries. ) We have read about the procedure. Checked our insurance adn my husband has successfully completed his self cath in preperation. The Dr said his was aggressive and type 3 out of 3. So he did give him options but did recommend that at his age( he is also pretty active and is self employed) he should do the reconstruction to the urethra. I just have a nagging nausea in my stomach about whether or not we should have a second opionion or if we are doing everything we should be. Could we have some discussion..Thank You.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne