Just diagnosed with bladder cancer

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #31104 by TinaNTim
Replied by TinaNTim on topic Just diagnosed with bladder cancer
Thank you all for the encouraging words.

Pat, the transplant was done in Albany, NY. We did call his doctor there but he did not want to say much because Tim has not been under his care. He did offer to see him if we wanted.

We did get a referral to see Dr. Pruthi! It is somewhat comforting to me hearing the same names be mentioned. We are willing to travel out of state if it means finding a more suitable doctor.

Again, thank you all for your help!

Tina

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #31096 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Just diagnosed with bladder cancer
Tina..where did your husband have his kidney transplant?
If you must stay in N.Carolina for insurance reasons i would contact Dr. Raj Pruthi at Chapel Hill..he's a top expert in bladder cancer
www.med.unc.edu/urology/faculty/pruthi
There are studies that show that a neobladder can be done successfully on a transplant patient..here is one long term study
tinyurl.com/yckacnd

If you can go out of state let me know and i'll give you some other referrals.....sorry for the long url address...i'll change it later when i have more time.
pat

14 years 1 month ago #31094 by kcnorthstar
Replied by kcnorthstar on topic Just diagnosed with bladder cancer
Tina and Tim,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Bladder cancer. I think the worst time is when you are first diagnosed. I was diagnosed 4 years ago and had neobladder surgery about 3 and a half years ago. I am a very active outdoor person and my life has not changed at all with a neobladder. I suggest that you start to learn all you can about bladder cancer. This site is very helpful and of course you can find lots of info on the net.

Pat is our expert on the best Doctors/hospitals for bladder cancer and hopefully she can give you a recommendation.

Anyone else have any experience with doctor/hospitals near Charlotte, NC for Tina and Tim?

KC

Age 59
DX Jan 2006 - T1B G3
RC - Neobladder June 2006

14 years 1 month ago #31061 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Just diagnosed with bladder cancer
Hello Tina and Tim so sorry you have to join this group. I know this is a scary time. I am not the most knowledgable about doctors, others will chime in soon.

I have been there though. May 22 will be my 2 year mark for radical cystectomy with neobladder replacement. It was not easy, but it was doable. Somehow you just keep going and you make it through to the other side. Believe me the future is worth it.

Know that you are in my thoughts,

Webs

14 years 1 month ago #31060 by TinaNTim
Just diagnosed with bladder cancer was created by TinaNTim
Hello.

My husband was just diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer Friday. To make matters more complicated, he also had a kidney transplant about 8 years ago. We live near Charlotte, NC and his urologist has instructed us to start researching different hospitals as he believes there is someone more suitable to perform surgery on my husband who has seen this situation. I am looking for recommendations of doctors/hospitals or to hear from anyone who has a similar situation.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Tina

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne