Cancer Recurrence After Cystectomy

17 years 2 months ago #3606 by boston_dotty
Replied by boston_dotty on topic Cancer Recurrence After Cystectomy
went to the hosp yesterday with hubby and they removed the stint and took a look see ,his bladder was very raw and red so was his uretha . in two weeks we go in again for a look see and biopsies ,they want to wait for the rawness to subside hoping it;s from the infections and the stint . the doctor said removal of the whole bladder as well as the prostate and uretha is not a good choice because hubby is 78 and has a heart cond. high blood pressure and diabetis and Doctor doesn't think he could make it through such a surgery, exact words from his doctor was if they did this surgery they don't think he could make it and it may not buy him much more time . his doctors meet thursday and will contact me on friday to see what they can come up with .it seems like they already know but want to go through biopsies just to make sure  i talked to hubby about a second opinion but he has complete faith in his doctors . i didn't realize what the doctor was trying to say until i got home .im feeling numb and trying to put up a good front for my hubby until i know for sure whats what .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 2 months ago #3489 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Cancer Recurrence After Cystectomy
Hi Dotty,

If you are in Boston, see if you can get into Mass. General. They have a great urology clinic connected to Harvard Med school. They will know exactly what tests need to be done at this time and be able to present you with the most current options.

My computer was down for almost a week...no telephone or email/internet.

Wendy

17 years 2 months ago #3465 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic Cancer Recurrence After Cystectomy
Hi,
I forgot to mention that Cynthia Kinsella is also on the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network (BCAN). She had her chemo at Mass. General.
Good luck....blessings.....Jean

17 years 3 months ago #3428 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic Cancer Recurrence After Cystectomy
Dotty,
If you look at a site on this forum called Cynthia's Corner you will find someone named Cynthia Kinsella. Full of information and very helpful. Had all her chemo in Boston and she even has a number where you can call her and talk with her if you need to. She is on the Bladder Cancer Sisterhood board and is very easy to talk to and helped me a lot when I was first diagnosed and could not make a decision between chemo and cystectomy.
Blessings....Jean

17 years 3 months ago #3427 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Cancer Recurrence After Cystectomy
Dotty...found the oncologist at Mass General...its William U. Shipley.......Pat

17 years 3 months ago #3425 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Cancer Recurrence After Cystectomy
Dotty if you're in Boston you're right there at Boston Mass General Hospital....They are excellent. They have the only successful bladder preserving chemo in the country. I consulted with them myself considering that as an option. I consulted with one of the oncologists who happen to be on the board with this site and my senile brain won't let me come up with the name....William U. ?.........Wendy help me out here...you know who i'm talking about. I promise to get back to you with the name......Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne