Question on neobladder surgery

14 years 3 months ago #30100 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Question on neobladder surgery
ummmmm......well was this Dr. Curley, Larry, or Moe? Forgive me but i've forgotten the stats on Jessica's Dad...can you give me a link to her old posts?
This is pretty wierd.
A Foley catheter will be placed in the space where your bladder was. This is a tube placed through your urethra to protect the healing of the suture lines that join the urethra and the neobladder. It is taken out about 3-4 weeks after surgery. It takes this much time for the neobladder to heal.

You will have two soft, long rubber drainage tubes called Jackson-Pratt (J-P) drains. They are brought out through the skin, one on each side of your abdomen. JP drains are used to drain old blood and fluid from around your neobladder. This helps to prevent infection. Nurses will measure the drainage. Your doctor will remove the drains after the drainage has stopped, most often within 2-3 days.
(my one tube came out pretty early, but the other was in for over a week as i drained continually with the one)

You will have a suprapubic catheter. This is a tube placed through your abdominal wall into the new bladder to keep it drained. It is removed in about 2-3 weeks.

You will have two small hollow tubes called stents (one for each kidney) to drain the urine from the kidneys while your neobladder is healing. The stents allow the urine to flow freely. The ends are brought to the outside through the same opening as the suprapubic catheter. They are connected to a drainage bag at the side of your bed. You will go home with the stents in place. They will be taken out when you come for your first clinic visit.
This is the usual! :S
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #30099 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Question on neobladder surgery
She talked to the doc again and he said they don't usually do the kidney drains because of increased risk of infection.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 3 months ago #30097 by mmc
Question on neobladder surgery was created by mmc
Has anybody ever heard of this?

Jessica's dad had his RC surgery but they do not have tubes coming from the ureters with tubes coming out for drainage.

When I had my surgery, I woke up with 3 tubes coming out the urethra. One was the catheter into the neobladder, and two tiny ones were the tubes that went to the ureters to bypass the neobladder so it could heal. My understanding is I had NO leakage of the neobladder.

Her dad is having urine in the JP drain (the hand grenade looking thing) and the doc says it is normal because the neobladder needs to leak so it doesn't fill up. Maybe there is a communication issue here but this sounds REALLY weird to me. I thought a JP drain is to drain the surgical area of surgical drainage.

She said they are talking about maybe hooking tubes up to the ureter stents tomorrow "maybe".

Anybody had an experience like this???

Please advise so I can relay the info to Jessica and she can speak with the docs if necessary.

Thanks,
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne