To the folks who say: I\'ll NEVER let them remove my bladder.

14 years 3 months ago #29975 by Christine Springfield
Replied by Christine Springfield on topic To the folks who say: I\'ll NEVER let them remove my bladder.
You are one very funny guy! :lol:

Actually, I found that post-cancer, it's become MUCH easier to pee off the side of a boat! No more hanging the bare butt off the gunnel... It's one of those little things that I am thankful for!

Christine

T3/G3 - Squamous Cell/Transitional Cell Carcinomas
RC w/Studer Pouch 4/25/07
The topic has been locked.
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #29937 by mmc
Good tips Christine. Thanks.

I suppose, worse case--if I have to pee off the boat, they will just think I have a long, very, very, very skinny willy when they see the catheter! :blink: :laugh: <Did I just say that?>

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
14 years 3 months ago #29932 by Christine Springfield
Replied by Christine Springfield on topic To the folks who say: I\'ll NEVER let them remove my bladder.
Mike,

Thanks! I was actually on the site a couple of years ago but when layout changes were made, my login got deactivated or something. For a while, I just didn't mess with it. Now, I have re-registered and am back. Some of my old posts show up under "n3qtrtme".

On the bikini thing... I just wanted to make it VERY clear that almost anything can be overcome. The scars on my belly bothered me a lot the first year, then I decided that I wasn't going to let them hold me back and make me wear grandma bathing suits! The hubby always nagging me to get back in the bikinis didn't hurt either.

I have ALWAYS wanted to dive Cozumel and am very jealous of you! I have done the diving with the manatees in Crystal River and shallow diving in the Bahamas post surgery. Seems like after chemo, it's been harder for me to stay warm than for a normal person - even 3 years later. So, I have to wear a wet suit unless the water is in the boiling range. Peeling a wet suit off and putting it back on while wet is a total nightmare. I did get a dive skin to help with that just in case I really had to peel it off to pee. I have more output in the mornings because of my coffee habit, so I planned for afternoon diving. That way, I could have my coffee, stop drinking fluids, get it out just before departing, and then be in pretty good shape for many hours. On the boat, I'd just take a few sips of fluids until we were done diving. Crystal River sends you out in boats without heads, so that was my plan and it worked out OK. In the Bahamas we had a head, so I made sure to empty right before getting wet, then I was good.

Looks like most 2 tank dives in Cozumel run about 4 hours. That's a doable period if you prepare for it. The water is at 79 degrees right now, so you probobly won't need a wetsuit. I would not worry about leaking/mucous. You can always wash out your trunks in the restroom back at the dive shop, if you need to. Or, you could bring an old pair of underwear to wear under your trunks and those will trap the mucous but let the pee out, then toss them when you finish diving. Goodbye mucous! If you are still concerned, there are some dive shops (try Dive Paradise) that do have boats with a head. If I wanted to go out for longer than 4 - 5 hours, I'd make sure I talked to them or did some research on the internet to find a boat with a head. I bet if you talk to them and explain why you need a head, they'd be happy to accomodate you. Worst case, you can explain that you need to pee to the dive operators on the boat, wait for everybody to get in the water and get busy diving, then go to the bow and take care of business, then get back to diving. You don't even need to tell them that you need to cath... heck, they'll probably turn their backs to you and they will never know.

Anyway, have an awesome time and let me know how it goes!

Christine

14 years 3 months ago #29923 by mmc
Christine,

Thanks! Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have a lot to share with others given your story.

Since I am not one to wear bikinis, I just keep a catheter in a little zip lock back with one of those tiny envelopes of surgical gel. I just stuff that bag in my pants pocket when I leave the house.

I'm hypercontinent as well. Good idea on the scuba diving thing! I've been thinking about that as it's pretty common to go in the wet suit when diving and I really don't what to do that given the whole mucous issue. Would be kind of gross! I was thinking about wearing a condom catheter with a leg bag or something but I think you're right. If I cath before I get on the boat (don't have a head on the boats in Cozumel where I will be) I should probably be OK.

Thanks again!
Mike

Age 54
14 years 3 months ago #29915 by Christine Springfield
Mike,

I TOTALLY appreciated your post. Yeah, at 38 I had MAJOR concerns about quality of life when I was told I needed an RC 2 1/2 years ago, but I am happy to report that I have figured out how to do absolutely everything I ever did before, and then some. I volunteer on an ambulance, scuba dive, ride in acrobatic bi-planes, wear bikinis, go on week long horseback rides for 8 to 10 hours a day, go out dancing, eat and drink what I want - basically, you name it, I can do it.

I am hypercontinent, meaning that I HAVE to use a catheter but I have found that wearing boots (always acceptable in Texas) gives me a very handy spot for tucking catheters. If I am not wearing boots, the husband usually does so he gets to tote them around. Worse case, I have to drag around a stupid purse (or beach bag). I have even been known to tuck them in the back of my bikini bottoms sideways. There are some things you do learn... when going diving, make sure you get a boat with a head, pee before you leave and don't guzzle drinks. You just learn to think about things a little more carefully and then adapt.

Sex was a HUGE fear but we talked to the doctor before surgery and he made sure he did all the nerve sparing possible and left as much vaginal wall intact as possible. I think we have stock in the company that makes Astroglide, so dryness has not been an issue that we have noticed. It did take a while for sex to become comfortable and enjoyable again, but I have a very understanding hubby. From what I read on these forums, that doesn't always happen. I would really encourage anyone considering an RC to make sure they express this issue to their doctor before surgery. They may not realize just how important an issue it is unless you mention it.

For me, even though it was a VERY scary decision, I knew I would be missing out on so much if I did not elect the RC. I would likely not see my kids grow up, graduate, get married, etc. In my case, I also might not have been around to help the hubby to get through his lung cancer the following year. Even if I had to deal with other modifications, I would never have regretted the choice.

Again, great post and it's awesome to hear you are doing so well even after so many issues!

14 years 3 months ago #29853 by mmc
Pat,

Mea culpa. I misread it.

You can never retire and I could never fill your shoes!
You're the greatest and I am but a grasshopper studying under the master. You, my fine lady, are the master.

Mike

Age 54
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne