To the folks who say: I\'ll NEVER let them remove my bladder.

14 years 3 months ago #29826 by sara.anne
This may be a bit incoherent, since my mind is running in all sorts of directions after reading this thread.
First, Mike, thanks once again for all you do for all of us. Your flow chart was wonderul and this is yet another major contribution.

I think part of the problem for people is the general perception of CANCER. We have all known people who have had other, major cancers (have a friend fighting pancreatic right now), where the prognosis even with treatment is dire. I am not sure that, faced with a terminal case like this, that I would opt for debilitating chemo.
Not so long ago this was the case with most cancers. And most people have NO acquaintance with bladder cancer. I remember coming home after my first diagnosis just over two years ago and lying on my bed, crying, and thinking "at least now I know what I will die of." AND THIS WAS JUST THE PAPILLARY...BEFORE WE KNEW I HAD CIS. So I am sure that many patients, told that they need an RC, feel that since they are going to die anyway, why bother?

I found this web site, did a LOT of reading (and fortunately have a bit of medical background) and soon was back in the real world. But I know that many newly diagnosed patients, hear their families urgings as wishful thinking. I hope that our web site, especially with Mike's contribution, can help to educate people to a more realistic outlook.

And things are changing for a lot of cancers. I remember the "old days" with breast cancer. I personally know of two cases where the husband, told of his wife's diagnosis, left her.

Anyway, end of the ramble. Thanks again, Mike

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The topic has been locked.
14 years 3 months ago #29825 by kcnorthstar
There is a web site out there that deals with this exact issue. Years ago a guy was diagnosed with bladder cancer (T1 G3 +cis). He had tumors removed and then had a recurance. His doctors were recommending RC. He refused all futher treatment and instead tryed some kind of diet that is supposed to cure cancer. I remember emailing him and trying to explain to him how well he could do with a neobladder. I also came right out and told him that he was probably commiting suicide by refusing treatment. That was years ago. The site is still there although he has not posted to it in over a year. Last post says he was forced to have an RC because his tumors were bleeding so bad that he had to go to the hospital and recieve blood. The site is www.stopdoingcancer.com I have followed that site for years and always cringed at the thought of how he was letting his cancer spread instead of going after a real cure.

KC

Age 59
DX Jan 2006 - T1B G3
RC - Neobladder June 2006
14 years 3 months ago #29823 by mmc
Thanks Jim!

You raise a great point about support. Sometimes, these folks even have the support. As a matter of fact, the only way we know about them is because of that support. In a lot of cases the person with the bladder cancer won't even come to sites like this and it is their loved ones who are doing it.

So we know they have loved ones who care about them and want them around. Kind of seems pretty selfish to make the decision to die rather than thinking about those loved ones.

If there is no choice in the matter and it has already gone too far, that is a completely different thing. My message had nothing to do with folks who are in that situation and I wish those folks the absolute best in their treatment.

It's when there is a choice and people reach a conclusion about something like "quality of life" without knowing anything about what quality of life is even like...that kind of ticks me off.

My heart goes out to their loved ones who try to get information to them and try to educate them and try to get them to talk to people who have been through it.

It's not just choosing to die when they opt to ignore the information or make up their minds without facts. It is depriving those that love them of years and years of life that could have been just fine with some small adjustments to daily routines. For a majority of the neobladder folks, there isn't really an adjustment to daily routines once they fully recover from the surgery and learn how to use the pelvic floor muscle properly.

Everyone has a choice but its hard to talk to and read updates from those loved ones about how the person is handling things. It just doesn't seem fair to those folks.

Usually (except when I get peeved about something like this) I am a really nice guy. I don't want my wife, children, and grandchildren to have THEIR time with me cut short when it doesn't have to be. Notice I said THEIR time, not MY time. While I also don't want MY time cut short, some of us think about others and not only about ourselves.

Now if the situation were one where I would have needed my body removed and they were just going to keep my head alive in a glass dome, it would be different. I can certainly see "quality of life" issues there. Of course, I'd try to talk to folks in the same situation though if there were any and at least make and INFORMED decision.

We have mototcycle riders, champion equestrians, golfers, racket ball players, baseball players, softball players, runners, cyclists, mountain climbers, sky divers, race car drivers, skiers, scuba divers, surfers, and pretty much any other recreational activity in our ranks.

You would think that might give some folks a clue as to "quality of life"! But...they won't even get on sites like this and learn about it. Argh! Makes ya' just want to box their ears! :blink: :angry:

Mike

PS: If one of you folks reading this message is dealing with a loved one that fits the description here, please print this thread out and stick it on the fridge. Let them get mad at me instead of you. If it gets them to start thinking about you for a few seconds rather than sticking their heads in the sand and choosing death over a fairly minor inconvenience once they have invested the time in recovering from surgery, then I will have a made a difference on this planet that I would not have been able to do had I not opted to have my bladder removed. Choose life!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #29822 by Humpy
Mike, Luv you man.....your the best!

Given my choice's......Neobladder or Die, geeze........can I think about this for........um.........10 seconds?!?!?!??!

As far as quality of life. I am 8 months post op, and FEEL GREAT!!!!! I have returned to every activity i did before surgery. Golf, Hockey, yes even hockey.
I am dry by day, and I leak at night. Big frickn' deal. We will all leak, sooner or later, reguardless of bladder cancer or not.

Not to say this was a walk in the park, it wasn't. But I am glad I did what I did. I am excited to be able to coach others faced with the decsion, and/or surgery.

I chose life, at any expense. I would not understand we anyone else wouldn't. I do not take life for granted, and am thankful everyday that I am alive, and that my cancer left with my original bladder.

All i can think of, is those who chose not to have a RC, do not have the love, and support I have from my wife, and family. They gave me the reason to live, at any price.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan
14 years 3 months ago #29821 by vgau
Once again you have put something together that can be a help to many people out there.

I think that sometimes it is the lack of success stories that leads people to make poor choices. Lots out there on the negatives, side effects, etc. However, there is very little out there about the people like you with positive things to share, especially hope for a "normal" life that they never think they will experience.

I was looking at a book today I got that was a cancer help book....bladder cancer was not even in the index.

When I think of the things I've read posted here, I think you guys should put together a booklet because you are all over it.

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary
14 years 3 months ago #29817 by mmc
Happy Bday to Hal. :D

It's a shame when people do that. It ought to be called suicide by cancer...

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne