Experienced w/ bladder stones and/or fistula ?

14 years 6 months ago #28359 by inTransition
Replied by inTransition on topic Experienced w/ bladder stones and/or fistula ?
Here is one situation where an ilial conduit beats the Indiana pouch! Exposing my bag (especially on a ten week post surgery belly) would have been a MUCH more effective visual. :D

Diagnosed Stage 3 March 09.
RC August 09 at MD Anderson, TX
Ileal Conduit (Bag Lady)
Age 52

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #28357 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Experienced w/ bladder stones and/or fistula ?
Melodie...you should have whipped out your catheter and explained that Rosebud was about to burst and it was a medical emergency. At any rate you could certainly put on a show for the Judge. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that!!:laugh:
Pat

14 years 6 months ago #28355 by Melodie
Just to make my life more interesting, the poor bladder was distressed following the contrast, etc. and so I was focused on finding a private location to pull off the road to check out the situation....when lo and behold, one of our finest ? pulled me over and presented me with a speeding ticket...said I was going 45 in a 35 zone...back country road with no homes and a straight away...Since I was focused on the bladder I may have been going over the limit as I wasn't looking at the speedometer.

Oh joy! He didn't ask me a question and didn't want to hear anything I had to say. So looks like I will be going to court to contest it. I have never been given a ticket and so felt like I could have been given a warning. Of course this ticket has nothing to do with the fact that the local police department has over-run their budget for the year and needs cash. They are banking on the fact that most people will just mail in the money rather than take time off from work to appea. Not me. I've watched enough Judge Judy and I'm going in prepared. After all, I am a warrior! :angry:

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

14 years 6 months ago #28343 by Julie
Surgery two days before Thanksgiving, you definitely don't want to be providing the holiday meal. I hope your feeling well enough to have some turkey and trimmings.

I can just imagine the words you had with the radiology especially since you checked first. I hope you never have to have this procedure again. Heres to no more surprises from your pouch. (((Hugs))) Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

14 years 6 months ago #28319 by mmc
My guess would be that they don't tell anyone about the back door contrast because nobody was showing up for their appointments. :)

It certainly sounds like surgical correction is necessary if a muffin can make it's way into your IP!

Hope they get this fixed for you quickly. I didn't realize one could even get a fistula from this type of surgery until I read your comments before.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery and no more mystery bits in your pouch!:S

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 6 months ago #28317 by Melodie
OK gang...for anyone interested....thought I would provide an update. Last Thursday I went back for another scan - FUN! FUN! FUN!...not really! They wanted to contrast the bladder, the colon and rectum. Well, I purposely called and asked the radiology folks exactly how this would happen as I don't like surprises...at least not medical ones. They told me it would be the ordinary drink the magic potion, wait an hour and get zapped, etc. They did NOT tell me they would also put a gallon of contrast up where the sun don't shine. :( Well, I gave the technicians an ear full cause I expected to be there only 90 mins. and was there 3 hours.

Prior to getting the scan, I had stopped by my doctor's office with a "Trick or Treat" bag of chocolates treats for my doctor and staff. I just left it with the receptionist and went on to get the scan. After the scan, I would say I'm the one who got the "tricks" :S

Anyway, the scan doesn't give us much more than we knew before in regard to the fistula...just as I figured. The only reason I went thru with it was because a week or so ago, I had a chocolate muffin for B'fast; 7 hours later when I emptied, you would have thought someone had taken a handful of black potting soil and tossed it in the toilet. There lay the remains of my muffin. :silly:

So, that episode did make me more curious about exactly what is going on. Anyway, the good doc wants to do surgery on 11/24 with overnight stay at hospital...so that gives me an easy way to duck out from having to prep the holiday mean. :) There has to be a blessing in this somewhere!

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne