New here

14 years 8 months ago #27345 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic New here
Sunflower,

CLUCK CLUCK !!!! I am the BIGGEST chicken I know about so the others are right, it isn't about bravery, it's more about finding a strength inside of you that you never knew existed. It is there and you will find it!

It's about remaining calm in spite of the ugly news, asking enough questions, doing plenty of research, recording information, pulling together a support group, and, for many of us, also includes lots of prayers, prayed by ourselves and by others who love and care about us...so we assure ourselves we are going in the right direction and making the best decisions possible for us.

DO NOT RUSH into surgery too quickly...You want to ensure you have enough time to make good judgement calls, so take a deep breath and know you are doing just fine with time, given what you know. When I first learned I had cancer, I got anxious because I couldn't get an appt. with the surgeon and I felt I needed something to happen immediately...early on I was in a mild state of panic. As it turned out, I was stage 3 so I was given chemo first so my surgery was actually delayed five months.

It's about joining the forum and finding that you are not alone...that so many have already walked this path and have tons of valuable info. and wonderful support to offer you. Of course I could say lots more, but that is why I put together my own website which I invite you to visit...just see the link below my name. Sending hugs your way.

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #27343 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic New here
Lynn - just as Cynthia said - we are no different then you. We were all frightened. We were no braver then you. We chose life. You need to know that you will get through this.

I also had a epidural for pain management. I highly recommend it. It really keeps you pain free - had it for several days. Be sure to ask about it.

Let us know how your appointment goes at Emory. Take your list of questions!

Gracie

14 years 8 months ago #27340 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic New here
BRAVE? GUTS? WHAT? I am your typical BIG guy! I was a WRECK! 6ft3in, 225lb GO TO guy........ Dr says "you have cancer"...... Giant bowl of Jello!

We are and were JUST like you. We were reduced to the very core! This is not about bravery. This is about attitude and determination! You WILL overcome this thing and soon you will be writing to us about how you found so much strength in yourself.

As for the ICU experience.... I was in an unusual post surgery place. I was put in a special 6 person room with 3 special nurses who monitored us constantly. I had a morphine IV and a pump. I never hit the pump. I was stoned out of my mind for a full day. My wife said I kept the nurse staff entertained with my vocal antics. The one day I remember in that room was the 2nd (they took off the morphine pump) and I was able to react. I felt so well cared for in that room. Then, on day 3 I was moved out of the room to make room for a mototcycle rider who used the road surface to exfoliate. The staff frim that room all came to my new room to check in on me, saying that I was moved too soon. :angry:

I know this sounds glib, but, You will find the strength and the will to get through this process. Because the end product is so worth it. There will be heartaches and worry, there will be some pain. You will Conquer this and you will LIVE. there will even be some VERY GOOD things that come out of this. You will find a zest for life as you never knew, you will find strength in friends and family that never existed before. You will also find that some cannot handle the disease (don't hold this against them, they have other strengths). You Will survive, and you will look at those 7-10 days in the hospital as the best diet you were ever on! Jenny Craig couldn't lop off pounds like that!:lol:

You are now among friends. Friends who have been there. Friends who know that it's OK to be afraid. Friends who you can be non judgmental and caring and strong at the same time. Don't be afraid of one thing....To ASK. Even the craziest question is OK We're here, we're a little scared still, but we will survive, and we won't quit on you :lol:

Now, Get your back up, clench your teeth, and Go! By the way, it's also OK to get REALLY REALLY Pissed off. Pun also intended. :silly:

Sorry for the crushing word count, but this is my arena.

Sincerely
George Kline

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

14 years 8 months ago #27338 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic New here
Sunflower,

I always smile when someone calls us brave. The truth is that we all do what we have to it is not as if we had a choice.

It is a mind set really. You take it a day at a time and tell yourself you are one day closer to being through it and back to your new normal.
Take my word for it if someone had asked any of us if we would rather have surgery and treatment for cancer or go on a vacation to a tropical island you can bet your house on what the answer would be.

When this was new for all of us we were just as scared as you are now. When this is all said and done you will be right here with us telling the new kid on the block the same things we are telling you now.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

14 years 8 months ago #27336 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New here
Yep...bowels woke up on Day 5...they gave me some god alful soup and i guess they figured i kept it down so they sent me on my way. They did advise that i stay at the hotel on the hospital grounds for a few days and a stoma nurse came every day to make sure i understood the routine. Environment prabably more sterile in the Hotel than the Hospital!!:unsure: :S
pat

14 years 8 months ago #27335 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic New here
Forgot the pump, huh? Well, once they forget to order a refill for my pump and had to give me a shot of delauded or something that sounded like that. It sent me back to the 60's :laugh: Wonder what stuff we don't catch? Now that is scary.

Pat, out in 5? My bowels didn't wake up until 10. They threw me out a couple of days later. I barely got to order the good food again. Excellent food at the hospital. Would almost pay for it!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne