New here

14 years 8 months ago #27333 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic New here
Dear Sunflower,
I agree with the rest I was scared silly. I was so scared I did not do enough research before going into surgery. Know about all 3 diversion options. Make sure you keep asking questions until they are all answered. Do not let them make the decision for you. You are the best judge of what you want to live with. When you finally make that decision take a deep breath and know that you made the best decision you could.

I was in ICU for 1 and 1/2 days. Turns out some moron forgot that I had an epidural for the pain and didn't order the pump to attach to it. Then the first machine they brought after that did not work. By day 3 they had me up and walking. It took 10 days for my bowels to wake up so I had a long hospital stay.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. By the way I am female and at time of diagnosis I was 38. ((Hugs)) We are here for you.

Webs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #27332 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New here
What backbone..? What courage?.....I was just as scared as you are now but as Lee said....the alternative was not acceptable. I did my homework, had a great surgeon and a fabulous support system.
I was only in ICU for a couple of hours.....then right to my room with a morphine pump which didn't work. Its also actually been proven that females do not react to morphine as well as men......interesting huh? If i would have had a choice i would have gone for the epidural. Many places use those now. By the second day i was up walking...no choice...they make you. By day 3 I was able to manage the pain.......Day 5 they sent me on my way!!
Honestly its just a bump in the road.
Pat

14 years 8 months ago #27330 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic New here
Hi Lynn,

I got a neo about 18 months ago. My wife says I was in ICU 3 days. It didn't seem that long to me. For pain control I had an automated epidural during most of my stay so I really had no pain for the first 10 days. After that,all I needed was vicodin for a couple of days and then discontinued all pain medication

There are some folks who had the morphine along with the ability to dose themselves and were happy with that solution. You might want to ask what he has planned for after the ICU stay since you seem to indicate the morphine is just for the ICU.

Backbone and courage? Just think of the alternative. Whatever they throw at you, it sure beats the alternative. They are throwing you a life preserver, grab it, hang on and don't sweat the bumps and bruises you're going to get along the way.

LeeH

14 years 8 months ago #27329 by StarraeAday1
Replied by StarraeAday1 on topic New here
Thank you Pat,Cynthia, George and Gracie. You have given me good information and a lot to think about. I am planning on calling my GP in the morning and get a referral for a second opinon at Emory, I would like to hear what they have to say. From reading and your experience I know you all have done your homework. One thing I want to ask, did any of you all have to stay in the ICU after surgery. The physican that I saw said my first three days after surgery will be in the ICU on a morphine pump, is this what you went through ?
Now tell me how you got your backbone and courage, cause right now I am lacking in that area.

Lynn

14 years 8 months ago #27327 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic New here
Hello and welcome to our family. Anyone that is in your position would be scared if you were not I would be worried about you. This is all new to you and on top of having to get used to the very idea you have to make dictions. A tall order deciding what direction to go in while in an emotional whirl wind isn’t it?

Take a big breath with the time frame you doctor has given you there is time to find the right direction for yourself. A second opinion is important from a center of excellence for bladder cancer. Just because a place is a cancer center does not mean it specializes in all cancers. Listed below are some choices the ones I listed that you can travel to have a good reputation for bladder cancer. Emory seems to have a team approach to bladder cancer but I know little about them. But I do know that University associated cancer centers are a much better bet than ones that are not also Emory is a NCI designated cancer center.

You could ask your present Urologist for the name of someone good for a second opinion. But if you do not wish to do so the first thing you may want to do is call your insurance to find out if the will cover a second opinion and if they do if they have preferred locations some do. Once you have done that pick where you are going and give them a call and set up your appointment. If you tell them your original diagnosis they will know you need to be seen soon. Ask them what they need sent to them. They maybe willing to call your present Urologist and get your medical records. If they do not call your Urologists office and request they be sent if they ask you for your scans, pathology report or your pathology slides ask the office staff who to call to have them sent. You may have to sign forms to have things released. A little work but it will be well worth it for you in peace of mind.

When you are looking at a Urological surgeon the question is how many Radical Cystectomy’s of the diversion you are interested in they have done? This will tell you two things how experience they are and if the hospital they are using are used to handling a high volume of patients having a Radical Cystectomy they deal with. Experience is king in hedging your bets for a good outcome. The Urologist that did my surgery for instance does three to five a week.

I hope this helps and remember we are here for you

Emory

cancer.emory.edu/patient-care/types-of-cancer/bladder/healthcare-team/bladder-team

If you can travel

MD Anderson

www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/cancer-information/cancer-types/bladder-cancer/index.html

John Hopkins

www.hopkinskimmelcancercenter.org/index.cfm/cid/1253

Sloan Kettering

www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/280.cfm

Mayo Clinic

www.mayoclinic.org/bladder-cancer/

Cleveland Clinic

my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/bladder_cancer/urology_overview.aspx

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

14 years 8 months ago #27326 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New here
Hi Lynn.......the only NCI approved cancer center in Georgia is Emory...I took a look around their site and found one uro/surgeon who trained at Mass General....might be good for a second opinion.
www.emoryhealthcare.org/find_physician/physician_detail1.jsp?physicianid=11317&sessionid=15540623&search=Search%20by%20Area%20of%20Clinical%20Interest
Does your insurance allow you to travel outside of state?
Like George said you want someone who does this reconstruction on a routine basis.....bladder cancer is very unique and not all have the skill required. And you also want to make sure you have options whether it be a neobladder, Indiana pouch, or ileal conduit. If the surgeon cannot do all 3 you probably need another surgeon.
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne