bladder reconstruction

14 years 10 months ago #26145 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic bladder reconstruction
There is a lot of discussion on this thread about various options for a diversion. I cannot contribute to that discussion, since I still am maintaining an intact bladder. BUT I was struck by several things in your original message: a. "county hospital" As I believe Mike pointed out, this is NOT trivial surgery and you want to be where the surgeon does many of these a year. I would suspect that success with ANY method would heavily depend on your surgeon's experience and skill. b. I would think that an experienced surgeon in a center that sees a lot of bladder cancer would have resources available to you to help you make your decision....not just "here are three options."
Please seriously consider getting a second opinion at a center that specializes in this disease and this surgery. I am sure that many members of this list can recommend places near your home.

Whatever, good luck

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #26141 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic bladder reconstruction
Yes, it is on the BLC Information tab, and then under Invasive BLC: www.bladdercancersupport.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=16&Itemid=68

The link to the article is on the actual page. I didn't copy it over here again since it's already posted.

There are LOTS of very good articles linked from the BLC Information page and they are pretty well organized. General Info, Non-Invasive, Invasive, Treatment Guidelines, Staging & Grading, Caregivers, Survivor Issues, and BLC Links.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 10 months ago #26137 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic bladder reconstruction
It is...it just keeps getting hidden..
Its interesting but i've been around so long this is maybe the third time i've seen this discussion on diversions..if you look back...waaay back in the history on the forum you'll find pages on it.
But essesentially the remarks are very similar...everyone seems pretty well satisfied with what they've got with the exception of a few women who wish they had gotten all the facts about the downside of a neo that only happens to them..not the men.
Pat

14 years 10 months ago #26135 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic bladder reconstruction
This should be made a permanent link somewhere

14 years 10 months ago #26132 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic bladder reconstruction
Here's a great summary of pro's & cons someone originally posted on & I book marker it.

my.clevelandclinic.org/services/urinary_reconstruction_and_diversion/hic_urinary_reconstruction_and_diversion.aspx

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26130 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic bladder reconstruction
To Rah-I am happy to hear from a man who is as proud of his bag as I am. I agree with everything you said. I actually did not have a choice of diversions since I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis just prior to my RC and the doctor, wisely, would not consider the other two. I was diappointed at first but now realize that for ME, the bag is the way to go. No, it is not natural but it is so easy, convenient, and as Rah said, I can do everything I did before the surgery. I am very active and not a couch potato. I hike, travel, work in my garden, and swim though not in a bikini but who needs an excuse not to wear a bikini at 60.

To Ray-Again everyone seems happy with whatever diversion they choose. You are a young man and I can understand wanting to remain as natural as possible. As a woman, my biggest negative to a bag is the fear that someone will attack me in the restroom for standing and facing the toilet to urinate. LOL I am sure that sooner or later I will be caught in the act.

I wish you the best in your decision and your surgery.
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne