Weight Loss After RC and Prostate Removal

14 years 10 months ago #26073 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic Weight Loss After RC and Prostate Removal
Personally, I think I'll go with Webs answer. Dieting causes bowel irritation:P . Sure wouldn't want that. Besides, I always found a nice slab of ribs will give me some relief:lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #26071 by Jeff F
Replied by Jeff F on topic Weight Loss After RC and Prostate Removal
I didn't eat for probably at least 4 weeks. Just soup and soft foods. I lost 25 pounds due to the surgery and aftermath. My appetite came back after a couple of months, but I still ate light. Now, a year later I am overweight again! Now I have to diet!! I used a good natural laxitive, sensicoat, or something like that. It worked. Now I am as regular as Ben Ben.

BC diagnosed 01/2007
Cystoscopes and Miomyacin in 2007
R/C ilial conduit 04/27/2008

14 years 10 months ago #26067 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Weight Loss After RC and Prostate Removal
Al..i was told that most people lose an average of 20lbs after this surgery..a thinner person a bit less. I kind of bulked up prior to surgery knowing this as i was pretty thin to begin with. I lost 24 lbs.
My appetite was lousy and because so much intestine used i had a pretty irritable colon for quite some time. You got the ileal conduit so that should not be such an issue for you. I have to admit i drank a lot of fattening Starbucks Mocha's and hot fudge sundaes to bulk up the calories..besides it was the only thing that tasted good. I made sure i had my protein with eggs in some style every day but other than that portions were very small and i was very picky and seemed to have a lot of nausea that first month after the surgery which i took phenergan to combat.
Hang in there..it gets better. You might even try an Ensure shake...you can disguise it pretty well with lots of icecream and milk...high calorie and has all the nutrients...a good temporary fix.
It actually took me a year to get back to my old normal weight.
Pat

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26064 by Webs
Have to agree with Mike. I lost 28 pounds and have gained back 35 a year later.:woohoo: Dieting does not seem to be working, causes bowel irritation. Try keeping a food log and know that the weight is out there just waiting to sneak up on you.

Webs

14 years 10 months ago #26063 by reseda1420
Replied by reseda1420 on topic Weight Loss After RC and Prostate Removal
I thought I'd lose more also. But the weight came back along with my appetite pretty quickly. Actually, I don't ever remember losing my appetite. Be careful, you can easily end up with even more weight because of the lack of activity.

14 years 10 months ago #26056 by mmc
Doug,

The weight loss is normal. I was REALLY hoping to lose a lot of weight but unfortunately, I only lost about 15 lbs and then I gained 10 of it back after a few months.

In my case, bowel movements are different due to the "pushing" action to empty the neobladder. I used to be a one-a-day guy but now it is probably 2-3. For a while, it was even more than that. I will say that I had more issues with bowels in the first few months and it got better for the most part. Different foods can have an impact on that so it is suggested to keep a log of foods and bowel movements to try to narrow that down. I didn't bother with that and things just seemed to get better over time. Your mileage may vary.

Do keep track of the weight loss and do keep your doctor informed.

Four weeks is still very early in the process. All the best for a continued recovery!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne