Ileal Conduit question

15 years 4 months ago #22897 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Ileal Conduit question
Pat she is with Mark Schoenberg as we both know he does a lot of all the diversions.They ruled out the Indiana though discussion and have narrowed it to the other two.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #22888 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Ileal Conduit question
Cynthia...have to ask.....why not? If she's a candidate for the neo there is no reason unless the uro cannot do an Indiana for her not to have that 3rd option.
Pat

15 years 4 months ago #22885 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Ileal Conduit question
Pat the Indiana is not in the running for this lady after discussions with her Uro.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 4 months ago #22884 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic Ileal Conduit question
Lynda,
Since I am a male, my change in wardrobe may not apply to your situation.

I choose to wear a two-piece pouch and bag. I like to take the bag off while I shower which I can’t with the one-piece.
Since my stormo is just below my belt line, I had to go away from wearing a belt. The belt would catch on the bag and pop the bag off the pouch (two piece bags are connected to the pouch like a Tupperware lid connects to the bowl).
So, now I wear suspenders.

The only other restriction is when I wear tighter fitting pants and I need to drive for some distance. As the bag fills, the tight pants restrict the bag from filling to the level I allow it to during everyday wear. All I do is unbutton my pant’s button and unzip my zipper and it "frees" my bag against the restriction.

I wear the same swimming suit as I did before. The swim suit band lies above the bag and pouch. I was planning on changing bathing suit styles to a bikini Speedo, but decided that bag exposure may make sun bathers run.

Good luck in your choice, surgery and recovery.

Rick

15 years 4 months ago #22882 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic Ileal Conduit question
I have not changed my wardrobe at all after my illeal conduit. When I first got out of the hospital, my stomach was swollen, I guess, and you get the institional hospital appliance which is like one size fits all but it doesn't. Your ostomy nurse will help you customize the one that is right for you. I am a petite woman and I needed a smaller appliance. I also like the one piece much better than the two piece. It lies flat and I wear everything I did before my surgery. I have had no problems with my "bag". Everyone seems to adjust to the diversion they choose. I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Nancy

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

15 years 4 months ago #22878 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Ileal Conduit question
Third option of Indiana Pouch off the table? Or didn't they let her know that was an option? Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne