Ileal Conduit question

15 years 4 months ago #23067 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Ileal Conduit question
Jeff......i can sleep all night and never have to get up with the Indiana Pouch.....i go 9 hrs. Its a pretty good system..........Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #23057 by Jeff F
Replied by Jeff F on topic Ileal Conduit question
I am pretty well used to my ilial conduit system now. I found some full elastic waistband khaki's at JC Penney's, with NO beltloops. They look pretty good. With suspenders I do a pretty good imitation of Steve Urkell (I'm working on the dance). I just ordered the belly tube with pocket. I kind of want to make things more secure when I go out, and this might work. Also ordered the swim thing...a latex wrap apparatus that is supposed to hold it all together while you swim. One good thing about the bag is you can sleep all night and never have to get up! Small favors are accepted.

BC diagnosed 01/2007
Cystoscopes and Miomyacin in 2007
R/C ilial conduit 04/27/2008

15 years 4 months ago #22915 by Patricia
Jean believe it or not the Indiana is MORE complicated than the neobladder and many just do not know how to do it....the ratio of men to women is so much greater with blc and men do very well with a neobladder as their urethra is longer....therefore, thats what most of them do. They're pretty hard sell on the neo for women but ya know what...they don't follow up long term with it. I realize that in many cases once they get in there that there might not be a choice of diversions..but if there is any indication of urethra involvement the urethra is removed and an Indiana can be done. Very few men have them..i only know of two who have an Indiana and they are doing quite well. Bottom line...they just don't like to do them or they don't know how to do them.
Pat

15 years 4 months ago #22908 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Ileal Conduit question
Well, I'm in agreement with Pat...I couldn't have managed the neo well; just not coordinated enough myself and crikey...I knew I wouldn't be able to see what I wanted to see. The doctor I now have (my surgeon retiring) tells me that the Indy Pouch is more complicated which is primarily why doctors would rather do the neo...their convenience, not ours. Sorry, doctors, but WE, the patient are the customer and should have what we want unless it is unreasonable. Warriors, fight on! Hugs, Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

15 years 4 months ago #22906 by Patricia
Well i have enormous respect for Dr. Schoenberg. And i truly respect anyones choice for a diversion. I just recently have become aware that not all doctors give a choice and i feel that its very important to know those choices and for whatever reason have a say in the matter. I also had one of the top surgeons in the world of BLC and he absolutely pooh-poohed an Indiana...just didn't want to do it..period...end of story. I did tremendous research on the diversions and made my choice for my reasons but had to find another surgeon to do my choice. There is an interesting article in UroToday about neo's and women...and 69% were found to have to self catherize...thats a big percentage and it hasn't changed in 6 yrs. If you are willing to do that then thats a great choice for you. Personally as a female that area is WAY too sensitive an area for me with the urethra still in tact...I would have failed miserably.
www.urotoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_ua&id=2219163
Pat

15 years 4 months ago #22904 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic Ileal Conduit question
Hi,
I would think her age would be a big factor. Because of a problem with IBS and my age I was strongly advised to have the ileal conduit but my surgeon, Dr. Vincent Laudone, who just went to SK would have done the Indiana Pouch if I wanted it. From what I read women have a hard time with the neobladder but in retrospect, if the situation were different I would have had the Indiana Pouch, not so much for the wardrobe but for the problems with skin irritations, leaking pouches to name just a few of the challenges. If I had no IBS issues I would definitely have the Indiana Pouch and would find someone who would do it. If you know how to make a neobladder, wouldn't the Indiana Pouch be easier. Just a thought.
Best of wishes for whatever she chooses.
Jean

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne