MVAC question

15 years 5 months ago #22647 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic MVAC question
Sonj,

I don't know how old your spouse is...I had MVAC May - early Aug. 2007 at age 56...side effects me were initally nausea which the doctors were able to control...fatigue...needing to take a nap daily...loss of my hair about 2 weeks into the sessions. (By the way, my hair fully returned within six months following treatment and is now very curly) I did have some tenderness on the bottom of my feet and some numbness but that went away after treatment. I was into the chemo treatment center on a regular basis for the infusions...which was almost weekly...if I wasn't getting an infusion...I was needing a shot for low red cell or white cell count...some weeks I was in there twice.

They had snacks to help us keep our protein level up and also some very comfy recliners with blankets. The nurses at the center were some of the most compassionate I have ever seen. I usually brought in juice and green tea to drink while there as it is very important to stay hydrated while undergoing treatment. Initially I had to force myself to go in the first few appointments but after I met some of the others who were there fighting cancer and engaged in conversation with them, I looked forward to my visits.

Following treatment, I had a two week break before going into surgery for my RC...I think it was beneficial for treating my cancer. After MVAC and surgery, I did have some issues with memory and brain function but within 7 months felt I was fairly back tonormal...so far still clean, have returned to work full time and hope to continue with that idea. Wishing you well. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #22567 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic MVAC question
Thanks Sonj.....now i understand...with the post surgical pathology indicating it into the fatty layer I can understand why they might want to go for the invisible critters that may or may not be out there even tho nodes were free. That would be Stage 3b.
Pat

15 years 5 months ago #22563 by psee4me
Replied by psee4me on topic MVAC question
Mona,
I sent you an "on site email" with my info. Hope it works. I didn't get your instant msg. :P We'll figure it out somehow...LOL

15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #22562 by Mona
Replied by Mona on topic MVAC question
Hi Sonj, I tried to send an instant message to you but not sure if it worked - I'm not used to this stuff! I think you can send your email address to me through the onsite email though and I can send the pdf. It has all the details of doses/timing/side effects and my husband's oncologist followed this protocol. He is well and active now, working, mountain biking, skiing etc. Tests so far have been clear, we are waiting for the latest routine CT scan at the moment and have appointment with the urologist and oncologist on monday.

BCfighter, glad to hear you are doing well too!

15 years 5 months ago #22559 by psee4me
BCfighter,
AWESOME news:cheer: 18 months cancer free. When you went for 3 rounds of MVAC, how often did you go? Once a week? Did you sit in chair with a slow infusion? I'm so excited to hear your only side effect was nausea & fatigue.
:silly: Glad your doing great!

15 years 5 months ago #22558 by psee4me
Pat,
His path after cystoprostatectomy stated "invasive-high grade urothelial carcinoma w/focal squamous differentiation invading into the perivesical fat". Honestly say I'm unsure how his is graded/staged. :huh:
Thanks Sonj

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne