MVAC question

15 years 3 months ago #23250 by eddiek
Replied by eddiek on topic MVAC question
Carolyn,

I'm Cynthia's husband and caregiver. If I read the date/time of your post correctly, your RC is scheduled for Friday, 2 January? Here are some thoughts for you:

> Your time in surgery, hospital stay, and recovery are typical.

> The tubes and drains all have names, but I can never remember them. Just keep in mind that they're only used for a short period of time and will be removed as you recover.

> Remember, the surgeon will use a portion of your GI tract to construct the continent urinary diversion. Re-starting the digestive system following this surgery will take a little time. Even after you are discharged from the hospital, remember to eat small meals that are easy to digest. You may fell hungry every couple of hours and may eat several small meals throughtout the day.

> Your new "bladder" will need to be "trained" to hold more volume as your recovery progresses. I bought several inexpensive alarm clocks that we used during the night while Cynthia's Indianna pouch was being "trained"; they were all set to different times. Once all of the tubes are removed, the capacity of the pouch will be small, so it will need to be voided more frequently, until its capacity increases.

Cynthia mentioned the group chat on Sunday nights in her post, but the "chat room" is avaiable 24/7. If you just click on chat from the main menu and wait for a few minutes, another user may join you; this is a great way to get more "real-time" support.

Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you have any last minute questions. We'll be thinking about you on Friday!

Ed K.

Edward J. Kinsella
American Bladder Cancer Society
Board of Directors - Treasurer/Secretary

& Caregiver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #23227 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic MVAC question
Just thought I would let you know that we have a group chat every Sunday night at 8 Eastern if you get a chance please join us. Just click on chat in the main menu and you will be with us

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 3 months ago #23223 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic MVAC question
Hi Carolyn,
Just wondering that small appalachian town you're from as my husband was from Seaman, Ohio......about 30mins from Cinti where I live...
I also have a continent diversion which is called an Indiana Pouch with a naval stoma. Did your surgeon ever mention the word Indiana Pouch? And yes there are lots of tubes at first and a bit of training to do with the pouch but after having mine for 6 yrs its quite well behaved now.
As for MVAC or Gemzar/Cisplatin...success rates are about the same..its just that the combo of Gemzar/Cisplatin seems to be an easier regimen to go through..though there are plenty here that will question that. Chemo is difficult and everyone reacts a bit differently to it.
Pat

15 years 3 months ago #23220 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic MVAC question
Carolyn,
Glad you found us and welcome to our family the dues are a bit high but they are a great group. I have an Indiana pouch that is an Umbilical catheirizable cotenant diversion and it works very well. As for MVAC it has always been considered the gold standard and now there are others but the research is still out as far as what is best and if there is a difference it seems to be very small what is looking promising is having chemo prior to surgery as you did.
You are having a Radical Cystectomy we often shorten that to RC here. Yes it sounds very off putting going in to it but many many of us have been through it and I will tell you how we did it. One day at a time……I would wake up every day and say to myself I was one day closer to being on the other side of it and guess what I was right. Start walking as soon as you can it will help you get back to fighting strength like nothing else. We will be here for you once you are out of the hospital as you will have a lot of questions. Let us know how you are doing as soon as you can.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 3 months ago #23219 by Lady Jane
Replied by Lady Jane on topic MVAC question
Carolyn
Check your onsite email. I sent you a couple of posts.

Ta Grade 1
6 TURBS
15 BCG
dx Jan 07

15 years 3 months ago #23218 by Carolyn
Replied by Carolyn on topic MVAC question
I'm new to this website and am thankful that I've been directed to it.
I was 54 and a non-smoker when I was diagnosed with Bladder/urethral cancer in July of '08. Surgery was recommended for me but I was told that chemo before surgery would be most effective in my case. I did 12 days of MVAC chemo treatments over the course of approx.3 months. I felt like a truck was on my chest. I took Zofran and Ativan prescriptions that helped me a lot with the nausea. I lost all of my hair. ( I have a 17 year old son who is a jr.in HS and I had to miss 3 of his Fri.night football games due to the nausea. I didn't think I'd EVER miss a game, but I was pretty wiped out....nauseated & very tired!) I was able to take all of my treatments with no complications (no anemia, no problems with cell counts, etc.)We didn't have to back off of any appointments. Once a month I was given a Nulasta shot.
After reading some of the posts, I'm wondering: Is MVAC an outdated choice?

My last chemo treatment was Nov.11, '08 and my "big" surgery is scheduled for this Friday morning at the James Cancer Hospital in Columbus, OH. My surgeon is Dr.Kamal Pohar and I have optimum confidence in him and his staff. My surgery is called: Radical Cystectomy with a Catheterizable Continent Urinary Diversion. I read about all the tubes and drains, etc. and I am dreading all of that. I'm told to expect a 10 hr.surgery, a 10 day stay in the hospital, and a 2 to 3 mo.recovery period. Sounds profound.
If any of you have any knowledge of or any experience with my upcoming surgery type, please respond. I live in a small Appalachian town on the Ohio River and there is very little support available.
As I read the posts on this website, I hear lots of courageous people fighting the fight. Hang tough..and as my friend (she is suffering with lung cancer) says: "Breathe in, breathe out, move on."
Truly,
Carolyn

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne