Which Opinion Do You Choose?

15 years 8 months ago #20955 by harleygirl
Which Opinion Do You Choose? was created by harleygirl
At my insistence, my 82-year-old father went to a different urologist for a second opinion about the necessity of having another operation. This urologist prided himself on being what he referred to as a "straight shooter." He told my Dad that, in his opinion, the planned surgery was not drastic enough and said Dad would need a colostomy along with removal of whatever is left in the pelvic area. This was based only on a path report we took to him from Dad's urethra removal. This doc ordered a PET scan and later told Dad that the results indicated that Dad probably only had 2 or 3 years left and to have chemo/radiation. I did not like this doctor one bit.

Dad took the scan to the uro who wants to do the surgery and he called Dad today and told him that the PET scan was negative and the surgery should proceed as scheduled. This doc is at a major university hospital and was the one who removed my Dad's urethra in May. He believes the best way to treat a local problem (possible spread of cancer outside of the urethra into the surrounding tissue) is with a local solution (surgery).

Needless to say, Dad is a little confused by the differing opinions. He is seeing his oncologist on 9/12 to get his interpretation of the PET. This doc has told Dad previously that he thinks surgery is the best option, but Dad wants to see what this doc has to say after seeing the PET.

When opinions are so different, how do you know which doctor is right? Do you go for 2 out of 3? Is it true that surgeons will always recommend surgery and oncologists will always recommend chemo/radiation? How is a lay person supposed to figure it out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne