Urostomy

15 years 7 months ago #20958 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic Urostomy
Thanks Rah for your comments. I am trying to stay positive and am analyzing all the good things about an llleal conduit. I think that the recuperation period should be shorter and also the operation itself. I have read of the many UTI's that people with the neobladder constantly face. Have you had them with the llleal conduit? You can have a night bag so you don't need to get up at night. Yes, there are many benefits of it. I just hope I don't get attacked in the ladies room for doing my business and facing the wall.
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 7 months ago #20946 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic Urostomy
Balihigh,
I am not a female but 14 months ago I received an Illeal Conduit.
I was supposed to have a NeoBladder, but when they were inside during surgery, they had a problem that prevented it from happening.

I am actually glad that I have an external bag. I am very active with young children, and the bag does not prevent me from doing any activity.

I change the pouch once a week. It takes ten minutes to change (after showering and shaving the area under the pouch).

I wear Pleated Docker type of pants, so there is extra room for the bag as it is filled. The bag is at my belt line, so I have to wear suspenders or else the belt disconnects the "Tupper wear" type of seal from the bag and pouch.

At night I connect my bag to a night bag with a five foot hose. This took me the longest to get use to. Now I sleep 8 hours with the tossing and turning with out waking.
The other key will be working with your Stormo nurse so that you will choose the right pouch that works for your body type. I went through several types until the right one was selected. The manufactures do provide three or four of each type for you and your stormo nurse to "try out" at no charge.

Good luck on Friday

Rick (A bagman and proud of it)

15 years 7 months ago #20900 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Urostomy
Bali...you might also go over to the web/cafe site and join the ACOR email list and ask your question.....you'll get lots of information from members.
Pat

15 years 7 months ago #20894 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic Urostomy
Thanks Jmema for your advice. I will visit that site today. I am not looking forward to what lies ahead but what must be, must be.

Yes, Dr. Bochner is doing my surgery. I saw my gastro guy right before coming to NY and he too had reservations about using the large intestine for a neobladder. He said that if Dr. Bochner thought it was okay, it should be but unfortunately he did not. I have never had many health issues and dealing with all of them all of a sudden is overwhelming.

I has happy to meet Grampadonut at Dr. Bochner's office. He is doing very well and looks great. He has survived and that lifts my spirits. He has been very kind to talk to me on the phone also.

I will keep in touch.
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

15 years 7 months ago #20892 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic Urostomy
Balihigh,
I am much older than most on this board (74) and because of the location of my cancer I had to have the ileal conduit in Oct. 2006. It takes some getting used to but it is manageable. I take care of my granddaughter and greatgrandson quite often and do just about everything I used to do. Of course with my age and arthritis I do have my limitations.
There are not many women with the bag on this site but if you go to the United Ostomy Assoc. site which is UOAA.org you will find many women, young, middle aged and older with a urostomy and they have been very helpful to me. Go to UOAA.org and click on discussion. Between the wonderful support on this forum and the UOAA forum you will be fine.
A woman I know had her surgery with Dr. Bochner and had the ileal conduit. She had the surgery in Sept. 2006. She is the head nurse in a large nursing home and went back to work full time and is doing very well. I almost used Dr. Bochner but a surgeon who was a fellow at MSK was closer to where I live.
Wishing you all the best.
Blessings...Jean

15 years 7 months ago #20891 by grampadonut
Replied by grampadonut on topic Urostomy
i had my RC 8/1 and got the bag (my choice) dr bohcner/staff were the best..he does 200/year and knows exactly whats best for you..why would you doudt him??

grampadonut
dx t2-g3
05/07/08

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne