Neobladder Self-Cath & Irrigation - For how long?

16 years 3 days ago #16132 by Dan366
Hi Wendy,

Yes I do use Surgilube lubricant. I'm not sure how long the doctor will require me to continue the self-cath. The next time I talk with him, I will ask.

He said that the primary reason for self-cathing is to measure the residual urine in the neobladder--I always have only a trace amount (so far).

I'm also required to measure (intentional) urine output. The purpose being to determine the capacity of the neobladder. Three weeks ago when the Foley was first removed, the amount was only 100cc, with major incontinence. Now it's up to about 200 (three weeks after Foley removal), with moderate incontinence day and night.

Things are slowly improving.

Thanks very much to all for your input.

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 days ago #16105 by wendy

Dear Dan,

Could it be that you need lubricant? What about a smaller cath, even pediatrician size? There are no indications of a stricture, right? Were you instructed to measure output during these early post-op days?

It's weird reading how people's doctors differ on their post-op instructions! I guess there are reasons, like different styles and types of neo-pouches, different sections of the ileum or whatever...but I want to know if you are going to be able to stop with the cathing like these other guys! You aren't hypercontinent, or experiencing blockage, and cathing is a bit invasive and increases risk of infection, so if should be serving a clear purpose, no?

I'm not a medical professional and don't have the answer, the responses only gave me more questions. I'm used to hearing guys say they self cath after RC but not for so long unless there's an indication.
All the best,
Wendy

16 years 3 days ago #16102 by dave
HI Dan,

I also experienced the pain you describe when self cathing, and for a couple of months I was hyper continent and had to cath several times a day. I found that a coude tipped rubber catheter was the easiest as it has a smaller blunt end on it. It is also curved to help go through the prostrate area, which sounds like where you are having the pain. I tried some other catheter samples that were not coude tipped and found them rather painful. Now, nine months after cystectomy, I no longer cath and find that it all flows out quite well. I have one in a backpack I keep with me along with a change of underwear and a couple of pads (just in case)...I haven't used any of that stuff for months and life is pretty much back to what is typically abnormal.

Dave S

16 years 4 days ago #16089 by Dale50
I had my neo on 12-2-07 and never did I have to self-cath, my foley was removed at three weeks post surgery and I have been fine since with no problems.

Dale

16 years 1 week ago #15894 by timb
dan

I only ever self-cathed a couple of times just so I knew I could in an emergency (blockages etc). My docs advised me against it and said they didn't want me to cath unless I thought it was necessary. so I never have and I don't think it's been a problem. I guess all docs have different ideas and techniques. Maybe you should ask your doc if you can stop. Unless your neo is very different to mine (a W pouch). On the few times I did cath, though, I definitely experienced the stinging sensation you mention. I asked my medical people who didn't have much of an answer. It never seemed to get better. If you end up having to cath often, you should seek out some of the gels and suchlike that provide an anaesthetic effect. I believe there's also a variety of different catheters with different coatings to experiment with. I remember someone talking about it somewhere on the forum so have a rummage round!

Tim

16 years 1 week ago #15887 by skypilot
For me it was 2 months once a day after the removal of foley. Then for 3 weeks once a week. I had surgery on Dec 21,07 Since then I just did it once the other day, To make sure I was geting it all out, I was just a few drops left. I did have a spot hurt about 3 inches in for a little distance . It also felt kind of bad on the way out. It was still tender the other day, But not as bad. So every case will be diferant but that is what my Doc had me do. As I understand it to much cathing or to long can be harmful. Don

Hanging in there!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne