Neobladder Self-Cath & Irrigation - For how long?

15 years 10 months ago #16784 by mikeg
my husband got his neobladder on nov. 5, 2007. when they removed his foley he had to self-cath once in the doc's office just so he knew how to do it. he has never had to do it since. i can't imagine why your doc is making you do that. good luck!

eileen, mike g's wife

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #16623 by Leigh
Hello Dan,

I too was advised to self cath once all cathethers had been removed after RC.

At first it was twice a day to flush my bladder with saline solution. In the beginning I was prescribed a numbing gel to insert in my penis before cathing which did help with insertion of the cath.

Most of the time I had little mucus or urine being retracted from the cath as like you I could pee it out naturally.

After a few weeks it also became painful to cath and stung inside my uretha after a 3-4cm and once passed a certain point became easier. I guess regular self cathing makes it sensitive inside with the insertion of a tube a few times a day.

On my follow up exam one month later at my Urology office I was then advised to reduce cathing to once a week which was great news. My Urologist insisted that I kept up this weaning off schedule. The cathing for me was not to urinate as this could be done naturally but only to flush and cleanse the new bladder to prevent mucus build up in the beginning when production is at it's highest.

Three months after my RC and cathing was stopped and since that time I have had no problems that have required me to self cath.

Many fellow patients of RC are advised not to cath unless having problems with urination. I suppose it depends totally on the type and size of new bladder made for you and if the diversion was successful in all areas and connections.

Good luck to you and hope that cathing ends soon for you too....

All th best
Leigh...

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 10 months ago #16565 by Dan366
Thanks for the info Carolyn,

I've cut back to once a week, and will probably continue to reduce the frequency.

Best wishes,
Dan

15 years 10 months ago #16555 by carolyn king
I would question why you need to continue self cathing. The whole purpose of self catherizations is to drain any residual. If you have less than 60 cc then I think you are doing a good job draining your neo. I was told not to self cath after my neo and I'm 4 months out and never have had an infection. As a nurse also I was curious to see if I was draining well so I did it once and got 20 cc after voiding. I guess it is up to your doctor but why go through the pain, discomfort and the chance to give yourself an infection. DR Koch at IU told me it was not necessary from the beginning. Good luck to you! Carolyn King

15 years 11 months ago #16236 by timb
I agree. your residual sounds the same as mine. and wendy's point about infection is also worth noting. I only self cathed a couple of times and each time experienced infections a few days after.

Tim

15 years 11 months ago #16226 by dmartin12358
Hey Dan,

It doesn't make sense to cath each day to check for residual post-void urine. That can be done much less frequently. You might consider asking your doctor if it is acceptable to cath once a week this week, then every other week beginning next week, then every three weeks, then once a month...

Based on my personal experience with my RC 2 1/2 years ago (and what is standard practice at USC/Norris), regular cathing should not be necessary, assuming no problems. Mucus should exit the neobladder when you void. You seem to have minimal residual urine post-void, which is great.

I cathed twice only, both times to check post-void volume - and that was over two years ago. There was a stinging sensation, pretty painful. Lube helped.

Where did you have your surgery?

Dx 7/04, CIS + T1G3, Age 50
2 TURBTs
12 BCGs
Cystectomy 8/05 USC/Norris
So far, so good (kow)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne