Percutaneous Nephrostomy

16 years 2 months ago #13286 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Percutaneous Nephrostomy
An image comes to mind of an elastic strap to hug the bag to your thigh. I don't remember where I saw a picture of such a device. I wonder if a medical supply place would have something that would work to help you keep it disguised under your clothes. You might try googling for a way to carry and disguise the bag.
I used google to look for something to put over my husbands PICC line in his arm so he could take a shower easier. I had used the plastic bag the newspapers comes in when it rains and taped it to his arm with waterproof tape. I found several products that said they were waterproof and would work even while swimming. The best one was a Walgreens Home Health of all places.
There are more people than we know with blocked kidneys and nephrostomy tubes with bags so I'm sure there is a remedy somewhere. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13285 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Percutaneous Nephrostomy
Maria,

I'm reminded of when I was in your situation. One night as I was walking through the kitchen after the "the procedure" my tube caught on one of the knobs on a cabinet. The experience gave new meaning to the term "breaking one to led". Got my attention right away!! :D :D

As my daughter says, "it is what it is". The humor of it all keeps us trucken. Our thoughts are with you.

Gordon

age 70
Dx 10/03
neobladder 9/4/04

16 years 2 months ago #13284 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Percutaneous Nephrostomy
Maria,

You're so cute and creative! Good idea...somewhat empowers you and that is excellent when facing cancer. :) Good for you!

I'm wondering why they didn't set you up wth some kind of leg bag that fits under your pants and fastens around the ankle, like I was given when I had my TURB. And then at night I switched over to a bigger bag which would hold more but did restrict me as to how I could sleep. I have to say, I dispised that bag on my ankle. I take in lots of liquids and I just didn't like that urine constantly sloushing around my ankle when I walked and I was always checking it to ensure the little valve was shut. I very little about kidney problems and how those are managed. Sorry you have that concern to handle prior to your RC, but you sound much more "up beat" now that you have some good medical support. I'll be anxious to hear how you new attire works out. Take care,
Hugs, Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 2 months ago #13281 by Maria
Percutaneous Nephrostomy was created by Maria
Percutaneous Nephrostomy:
I had this procedure done this morning, feeling a little sore but nothing I can’t cope with. I was advised to take strong painkillers regularly for the first 48 hours, I also have anti biotics.

I now have a tube in my kidney to ease the blockage and have a urine bag which will stay in place until I have the RC.
I do not yet know the extent of kidney damage caused; I will get to know this information soon.

I was very anxious this morning about this procedure, however, it was not as bad as I thought. I just wanted to reassure anyone who may have this done in the future that it really is ok. You will have a mild sedative and painkillers to help you through the procedure.........I can't remember a thing!

I had this done at the University of Florida Shands Center, the staff were great and explained everything to me and once again the professionalism and care I received was of a standard of excellence.

I now have to adapt to life with a urine bag for a few months, it’s a bit scary making sure that you don’t catch the tubes and I am sure I will get used to the bits and pieces and care of the bag in time.

For the girls ;)
I was looking at the urine bag tonight and thought of how I could disguise it under my clothes. I think this is going to be difficult for me to adjust.
So what I have decided to do is buy some nice material and little glitzy decorations and make a pouch for the urine bag and make a tubular material long draping belt to hide the tube, hook the lot to a Velcro waistband and see what happens!!!
If it turns out ok I can make a few more to match my clothes. I am hoping this will just look I have a purse around my waist!!! This sounds ok in theory; I will let you know if I can mange to do this.
Doing this for me will keep me occupied and take my mind of things, anybody tried anything like this?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne