Decision on type of diversion for RC

16 years 4 months ago #11987 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
I actually met Dr. Bochner when i went to see Dr. John Stein at USC/Norris...Memorial stole him away!! I shall write him....thanks....Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11985 by El
Replied by El on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
Hello Pat,

Dr. Bochner is my doctor at Memorial Sloane Kettering. His phone no. 646 422 4387.

Yes I am on Social Security.

Ellen

trying to learn how to take one day at a time.
RC March 2, 2007
Memorial Sloane Kettering Hospital

16 years 4 months ago #11984 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
Ellen...who was your doctor at Memorial? I've got to find out about this catheter you can leave in......thats an entirely new ballgame for me.
You must be on social security....arent they special? 4 catheters a month. I would ask them how many times they pee a month. If you have secondary insurance its a battle but if you get to the right person they will pick up 80% of the cost of all the caths you need. I've been fighting social security for maybe 2 yrs now because of their outdated manuals....they don't even know what an Indiana Pouch is nor do they particularly care.
And JOe the ileal neobladder is NOT the least problematic for a woman...maybe for you.....we would love to have your statitistics with the neobladder.
blcwebcafe.org/neowomen.asp
Read the entire article...........Pat

16 years 4 months ago #11983 by El
Hi Pat, I called my daughter to ask how long the surgery took. She explained that what took so long was that they had a hard time getting me under the anesthesia and it took longer to get me out from it. She said the actual surgery took 6 hours.

Ellen

RC March 2, 2007

16 years 4 months ago #11982 by El
Hello Pat,

Yes my doctor at Memorial Sloane Kettering said I could leave the cath in at night especially anytime I think I have an infection I could leave it in for week. I just do it so I won't poke around in the night. Its easier for me. When I go an airplane or a long trip in car I also leave it in. I got a cap for it from one of the external bags. I cut a few of them.

My doctor also said I could use the cath for a month. I put liquid soap in the cath and wash in warm sudsy water. rinse, and twirl them like a helicopter to get rid of excess water and air dry them. Before using them I clean it with a alcohol prep pad, put sterile lubricant on. I have not had any infections. In the beginning I thought I did but it turned out to be the mucus coming out through my belly button, its very itchy when it happens. My insurance company allows me four (4) each month.

Best regards,
Ellen

RC March 2, 2007

16 years 4 months ago #11978 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
Pat and Marie,
Yes some have allergies, some get infections, some don't, thats why we have this forum, we can all share our experiences to help you along the decision making process. What you read about some, will be totally opposite for others. Your case as well will be your experience with your choice of deversion. Whatever you decide I wish you well, Ginger Beane

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne