Decision on type of diversion for RC

16 years 4 months ago #11977 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
Hello Marie, I can really understand the difficulties you are facing regarding decision making for bladder replacement surgery. I can't decide what will be best for me. I am hoping to find a good surgeon who can explain the pros and cons before I make a final decision.

A few months ago while doing my own research, I found this article from the Cleveland Clinic very informative and easy reading:

www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/3900/3927.asp?index=12546

I hope it helps and I wish you well.
Maria xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11974 by Joe M
Replied by Joe M on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
What about an illeal neobladder, made from small intestines?

Was that ruled out....it really is the least problematic.

16 years 4 months ago #11972 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
Hey Ginger...i got huge reactions to my temporary bag that was in place for 3 weeks...my skin extremely sensitive and i have a latex allergy. Pat

16 years 4 months ago #11969 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
Marie,
My husband has the outside bag.. he has never needed to use glue, tape, or had any skin reactions to his bag. The bag works great if you want the simpliest with the fastest recovery time. If I were 48, very active, and loved outdoor life , swimming etc. I would do the Indiana pouch. I am not poo pooing the bag, it is a good choice for some, not knowing your personality it is hard to say what suits you best. The point being , at 48, your attitude and lifestyle I think would be more
condusive to an internal structure. It may require some work at first but the big picture is worth considering. So I am pro bag, pro internal,,its all about you,remember once its there its there for good.!!!!Ginger

16 years 4 months ago #11959 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
Ellen the surgery time varies greatly from surgeon to surgeon...i also had the hysterectomy which is the norm in most places along with my appendix and anything else they saw fit to take out!!...my surgery was 4hrs and 20 minutes. Dr. Schoenberg at Johns Hopkins takes about 3 l/2 hrs....Indiana U about 4 l/2 to 5hrs...I really don't know what the variable is...my surgeon took 33 lymph nodes..some take more some take less.
I'm really curious Ellen you said you leave a catheter in at night? I've never heard of that ..how can you do that and not irritate the bladder. I was told to get that sucker in and out as quickly as possible. It doesn't take me any more time to empty than if i were sitting on the john. I also can sleep 8 hrs before i empty at night but i'm also 5 yrs out and my intake of fluids is less in the evening. pat

16 years 4 months ago #11958 by El
Replied by El on topic Decision on type of diversion for RC
Hi Marie, I am 66 years old and I had my surgery and chose the Indiana Pouch on March 2, 2007. I also got the impression from the ostomy nurse to go with the outside bag.

I looked at the ostomy catalog to see what supplies you need for bags etc. and there is tape and extra glue to hold bag on and lotions for rashes. They sell different size bags for a bathing suit or for nightime which is larger and it attaches to your leg. I wrote pros and cons for both and then I went to doctor to discuss what to do. After telling him what I did he said I was a candidate for the Indiana Pouch. He said if anything went wrong in the operating room with my heart or something where he had to stop the operation sooner I would come out with the bag. The surgery is longer for the pouch. Mine took 9 hours.

I was not a candidate for neobladder as the cancer had spread to the Urethra. I also had a hysterectomy at the same time. Where are you having your surgery done?

The Indiana Pouch is easy. Of course you need time to adjust to the new normal. I can go 4-5 hours in the daytime and 5-6 hours when I am sleeping. I leave the cath in me at night with a cap on the end and it only takes a 2-3 minutes to empty and go back to sleep.

Regards,
Ellen

As Pat said your young, active with your family I definitely recommend the Indiana Pouch. Ellen

trying to learn how to take one day at a time.
RC March 2, 2007
Memorial Sloane Kettering Hospital

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne