Physical Therapy after Neobladder to regain continence?

16 years 4 months ago #11070 by Gene Beane
Eileen,

It is sad to see your husband in depends, Gene wore them for 6 weeks, although he had a outside bag diversion he had leakage from his penis which was from the surgery site. As I also learned from Pat, Zack and Joe, everything takes time, the thing is to get through it as it will get better. But you will have to endure it for now and just keep thinking its temporary. It is to soon to expect to much, I do feel your pain though, its rough , you may want to read my post on recovery, I was going thru the same stuff with Gene. I wrote it on Sept. 26th...It may help you to see others experienced just what your feeling...your not alone,,Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11061 by Patricia
Oh my gosh you did get the anal probe!!...(you have to have seen the movie Passion Fish to appreciate that!)..anyway yes its legit...its a way to measure if Mike is using the right muscles for the kegals unless this guy didn't have a clue what kegals are?? From what i understand for a male (you can correct me guys) that you tighten the rectal muscles without using the abdominal muscles or thigh muscles and don't hold your breath..relax......a set of 10 three times a day is enough...you can overdue it..morning, noon, and night is enough. Have Mike imagine that anal probe is still in him and try to contract his muscles around it. I know...its a lovely visual.
As Zachary said this is temporary.
Pat

16 years 4 months ago #11059 by Zachary
Eileen, the kegel instructions I received from USC for my neobladder were the same as regular kegel instructions. I did them in the morning and the evening with maybe a few sets in between.

As far as I know, there are no specific kegels for neobladders. My written instructions were very similar to every magazine article I've seen on them. Just don't overdo them. Time is also equally important in regaining continence--there's no way around that fact of life. It was three months to the day after my RC that I dared venture outside the house in the daytime without a Depends.

Nightime was a different story. I never got full control, and until my artificial sphincter surgery I needed a Depends every single night.

As far as timing, I was told that I could start the day my catheter was removed.

You're getting freaked out way too soon. In a couple of months--yes, it might take that long--Mike will be very dry. Like a Bond martini.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 4 months ago #11058 by mikeg
Does anyone have any experience with going to a physical therapist after getting their neobladder? my husband had his RC on Nov. 5th. his catheter was removed yesterday. our surgeon (dr. schoenberg in baltimore) advised us to go to a physical therapist to learn the kegels and whatever other exercises are necessary to regain continence. rather than drive 2 1/2 miles to baltimore, we got the name of someone locally. we went to the therapist today, and it turns out that he has never worked with someone with a new neobladder. he's helped many men who have had prostatectomies as well as men with general incontinence issues, but no one specifically with a neobladder.

we left the therapist's office feeling not too confident in his abilities. he did some biofeedback stuff with a rectal probe. is this what is normally done? also how long till you're out of diapers? we're pretty freaked out. if anyone has any answers, please advise. it's pretty disconcerting to see a 58 year old man in a diaper. not that we're not grateful for the clean pathology report; believe me, we are. it's just that this new reality is setting in and we're upset.

one more thing - when are we supposed to start doing the therapy? i thought it would be immediately, but when i called the surgeon's office they said we should start two weeks after the catheter is removed, which was yesterday.

thanks in advance for any input.

eileen, mike g's wife

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne