Anxiety

16 years 5 months ago #10838 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Anxiety
Hello Ginger Beane,

Thanks for your message, I collect my medication pack this Monday for the injection kit. I will update the mens issue section once I have tried it out...

Glad to hear your husband is doing well...take great care of each other.

Chat soon.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10832 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Anxiety
Sarah,

I come from a family of worriers, and have spent far too many hours over the years engaed in worry. I had a panic attack once after boarding a plane to fly across the U.S.to attend my father's funeral...I begged the airline attendant to open the door and let me off the plane...I was so worried the plane would crash and my young children would be without a mother...I had even taken the time to record all the bed time songs that I sang to them.

Strangly enough I never really worried that I would have cancer. After being diagnosed, I did have periods of anxiety while trying to navigate my way through this experence...and just last week went to my family doctor for an anti-depressant
but haven't started it yet...altho. I have the meds I may hold back. I took Prozac years ago and then Wellbutrin...but there are usually some side effects...but I won't know until I try and then I have to weigh the pros and cons. Since you mention prayer, I will tell you that several years ago I learned to pray on this subject and my fears have always been calmed. My surgery was late July...had my first CT scan early November...I didn't have any anxiety about the results as I feel my life was spared or a reason. Live for today. Really, it is all that any of us has. Hope you can realx. Take care, Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 5 months ago #10826 by Renee
Replied by Renee on topic Anxiety
Sarah,
I wonder if talking to a counselor will help, a psychologist or a social worker. It really depends on finding the right counselor, but they could be great for ongoing discussions, re-enforcing positive thoughts and work through the worries. You don't sound depressed so, going on anti-depressants is maybe not a good idea. Anti-depressants also have side effects. I am worrier as well and it can be really debilitating.
Take care,
Renee

16 years 5 months ago #10824 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Anxiety
Leigh
Glad to here your operation went well. My husband had his surgery the same day as you. Sept. 14th. He is 66 and has the bag.. He had some heart problems so he couldn't do the neo..we are happy with the bag, but to your nerve sparing concern I was wondering if you are going to get the shot?? I would like to know how it works and if it is bearable. As to your depression, I hope the prozac is working for you.
Ginger Beane

16 years 5 months ago #10823 by Sarah
Replied by Sarah on topic Anxiety
Hi Stephany

Thank you for sharing that - you are right anxiety is definitely a condition and one which does have pysical manifestations. I think acknowledging this helps me to put things into perspective. What I need is to stay well and get on with my life, and try not to let the terrors get to me too often.

16 years 5 months ago #10822 by Sarah
Replied by Sarah on topic Anxiety
Hi Mznoregrets and Leigh

Thanks for your replies, it is very comforting to know there are folk out there who understand.
I guess I have painted myself into a corner a little, in that only my husband and I ( and a thousand health-care professionals) and you guys know.
When I was first dx'd my overwhelming feelings were for how my children and elderly parents would cope. After much talking, thought and prayer we decided not to tell them until such time as it was not possible to do anything else (please dear Lord that day doesn't come). My eldest was just about to take very important exams and my youngest was just going into adolescence. So as far as they know I have had a hysterectomy and bladder repair, and they surely both happened!!
Anyway in some ways this has been an immense blessing - I have been able to put back on my real identity, mum, daughter, friend, without having to worry about the burden my kids would have to carry. However because the longer I am way from my op, the more time you have to reflect how exquisitely precious life is and it becomes more valuable each day. I want to hope that I see my eldest graduate, and see my youngest fulfill his dream of being a marine, be able to walk again in the hills of Scotland where my heart is, but I daren't. My consultant gave me a poor prognosis, but said if I made it to one year with a clear CT scan that my chances improved to 85%. I feel like I am tempting fate to push back and say, right that's that done with.
Oh dear, there are so many brave and inspirational posters on this forum I feel ashamed of myself - I think I need a good kick up the wotsit and just to get on with living as the man said!!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne