Help and advice please....................

16 years 5 months ago #10733 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic Help and advice please....................
Thanks everyone, you have been great and so helpful, I very much appreciate all of your replies.
I have made so many phone calls today and achieved little.
I called the center again, to ask if they would reconsider without me having to divulge my private financial information to them. My details had been reviewed by a Supervisor and they still refused to refer me for an out patient appointment. They have my insurance details, it clearly states what I am covered for. I am covered for everything I need, just they can’t be bothered to verify this information. I feel really blessed to have such good insurance.
They said they would contact my referring uro of the referral outcome. They will tell him I am not ‘cooperating’ (without going into detail) so I suppose they have already 'labeled' me as 'difficult' I am not expecting the referring doc to contact me again.
Prior to the help I have received from this forum I felt alone and vulnerable dealing with this, resulting in a near meltdown!

Pat I have been trying to find the details you have posted, that is great, thank you so much, my husband is phoning tomorrow.

Rosemary, it is good for me to know that this happens to others, being a Brit in the US I was feeling a little paranoid to say the least. Lack of communication is the hardest to deal with, my expectations of the ‘so called caring profession’ have just rated from 10 – 0 from my experiences to date! I am looking into the other options such as teaching hospitals, the information I have reviewed so far says tthis center is the best place for the treatments. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10713 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Help and advice please....................
Marie ..the director and head person at Moffitt is William Dalton

H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
at the University of South Florida
William S. Dalton, Ph.D., M.D.
CEO & Center Director

you can email him at E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Phone: 813-745-1421
I think he would like to know whats going on in billing.
Pat

16 years 5 months ago #10693 by justme
Replied by justme on topic Help and advice please....................
www.mayoclinic.org/jacksonville/

My husband is going to Mayo in Rochester,Mn they also have clinic in Jacksonville you might check out the site. We weren't asked for anything but our insurance card and medicare card which is normal anywhere.

Best wishes to you and keep us posted.

Wishing you a happy thanksgiving.
justme pat

16 years 5 months ago #10685 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Help and advice please....................
There are some good resources in Miami too....

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 5 months ago #10684 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Help and advice please....................
Maria,

I'll be glad when you get this appointment. If it makes you feel any better, I got similar treatment from MY OWN UROLOGY clinic after being a good paying customer for 2 years. They wanted 20% of a 2500.00 treatment right up front on the day of service and had never required this of me before. My pride and my dignity were very hurt. I called my Doctor's nurse and told her I might be looking for a new Doctor and she told me that she tried not to get involved with the Billing Office Policies.

I bet it is the same at LM. If you can get past the bull dogs in the billing office, maybe the Doctors and Staff will be just what you need.

I hope so.

I'll be glad when you get an appointment. Is there a good teaching hospital near to you? I have found that our local teaching hospital is very amenable and bend over backwards to help cancer patients.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 5 months ago #10681 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Help and advice please....................
Maria do you best to clear your mind for the holiday...nothing really to be done between now and then anyway...but first thing Friday morning...you get on the horn, and get this stuff done...You will find the exact place you are supposed to be. I still think Moffit is a great resource for you if the billing stuff can be worked out. Like I said earlier, don't let one bad seed run you out...if the Dr.'s are good then screw the billing dept...

Have a great Holiday!
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne