I'm back-with a neobladder

16 years 5 months ago #10535 by Mc
I'm back-with a neobladder was created by Mc
Hello Everyone,
I went to the VA Hospital in Tampa, FL on the 31st of October. That was the day the surgery took place. Seven hours later I am in ICU. I can't remember exactly how long I was there. I do remember some of the harrowing effects from the anesthesia and the morphine. The doctors have told me that some people do have a great level of disorientation and even borderline hallucinations. Apparently I am one of those people.
So all was going well until about 4 to 5 days post op when I was told that one of the stents leading to my kidneys had migrated and it was in danger of failure. Then we go to the Microscopic Intervention Lab where this really cool doctor knocks me out and inserts NP tubes into my kidneys. This procedure took care of the problem.
I got sent home after 13 and 1/2 days in the hospital. I have a foley, supra pubic, and two NP tubes coming out of my body. Add my arms and legs to that tubing and I could pass for an octopus. The 1-1/2 hour ride home did beat me up some.
On Tuesday I go back for a cystogram and if all looks good to the surgeon they will keep me one night and remove all these tubes.
Just a few comments for now. I am sixty one and do not lead a sedentary lifestyle. I am a husband, father and carpenter. I work full time and often moonlight on weekends. I consider myself in good shape. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING I have been told or read could have prepared me for this. When I walk across the room and back, I am whipped. I virtually have no energy. A family friend (nurse) said that the amount of trauma that the body experiences during this procedure is extreme and for now any and all energy that I have is directed toward healing the surgery site. Sitting about, television, reading, a little phone talk are all driving me a bit nuts. I'm just not used to it.
Today is day 18 post-op. I merely wanted to check in with the site and give an update. I forgot who responded (maybe TIM) and said, "No matter what happens, YOU LIVE." He is correct.

Carpenter-Vietnam Vet-Father of 4 boys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne