Bladder sparing

16 years 5 months ago #10317 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Bladder sparing
The article Dan was referring to is about using TUR only for muscle invasive blc, and not using any chemo+radiation or just radiation or just chemo...it was a small investigation into the feasibility of using tumor resection alone. It is a scary article that highlights the shortcomings of present diagnostics.

Dan sent this to the email group, so I'm copying his summary here:

tinyurl.com/3ahapo

Organ Preservation For Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer
By Transurethral Resection

... evaluated 327 patients with muscle-invasive
bladder cancer who were treated in at M.D. Anderson
from 1997 to 2002.

... Repeat bladder tumor resection was repeated in
all patients. If the patient had no residual
tumor..., ...bladder preservation was offered.

...Patients who opted for bladder preservation by
transurethral resection alone did not receive
intravesical therapy!!!

... 35 (11%) were eligible for bladder preservation

... 27 elected to pursue this approach

... 8 opted for immediate cystectomy (... 4 had no
residual tumor and one died from metastatic disease)

... Of the 27 patients who did have bladder
preservation, 15 experienced subsequent tumor
recurrence, 8 of whom underwent radical cystectomy.
Of the 8 that had a delayed cystectomy 4 had node
positive disease and 5 had extravesical disease...

They conclude "Bladder preservation using
transurethral resection is feasible in selected
patients, only 11% of the eligible population.
Unfortunately, despite close surveillance 30% needed
a cystectomy and of these 8 patients 50% had node
positive disease and 62% had extravesical disease.
This highlights that our current surveillance
programs are inadequate to identify recurrent bladder
cancer at a curable stage."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10296 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Bladder sparing
Hey, read the new article on bladder sparing by dmartin, its interesting, and speaks to your concerns...Ginger

16 years 5 months ago #10116 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Bladder sparing
Hi Joe,

I take it you mean bladder sparing instead of cystectomy for invasive tumors. You're rigth, folks on this path are not posting on the forum. There is one old timer on our email list who had the 'combined modalites' of TUR, chemo and radiation as per the Mass. General protocol, Mike Mann. His story is in our "Tales from the
Trenches" if you wanna have a look. I think he just passed the 7 yr free mark.

It's not an easy route, but under the right circumstances it has shown itself to be a good option. There are ongoing trials all over the world using it, as well as seed implants (brachytherapy), with and without chemo. When it comes to the chemo-radiation combo, cisplatin is most often used, now they're trying Gemzar too. The UK and Netherlands have very good protocols using radiation and no chemo for bladder sparing. The USA doesn't agree that it's a helpful option on its own.

Before anyone says this is an experimental treatment and not a standard one, I have to point out that every single treatment is also still being investigated in various trials, protocols for chemo vary, whether pre or post op, combos and even doses and schedule vary. There are options to choose from, though you have to be under guidance of a good smart uro-onc before you get fancy with something like bladder sparing. Even various cystectomy techniques are in trails (robotic, laparoscopic, neo, etc).

Webcafe's main site has pages discussing the pros and cons, if you are interested,under 'treatment options'.

I've met one woman who had this treatment but it did not work, the cancer came back, she had BCG and eventually a cystectomy. It can be extra tough if it doesn't work...and definitely needs a dedicated person who is not afraid of the very close follow up that is needed.

People who do this treatment have told me they don't want to post because they get hate mail from others! I was shocked to hear that, as I'm sure we'd agree those who choose a trial are just as welcome to post as anyone else.
Wendy

16 years 5 months ago #10108 by joeburg55
Bladder sparing was created by joeburg55
Im just curious, I have been on this forum, for about a year now, I have seen no other blogs about patients who have gone the bladder sparing route. Im just currious as to why this is. Is this Page strickly for bladder removal? Im looking to converese with people who have taken this approach. Any info is appriciated
Thanks Joe

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne