What is on the Front Page Today

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #47926 by fighterm
Replied by fighterm on topic What is on the Front Page Today
Hi Sara Anne,

I was referring to some other articles about this particular research that say it's just bad luck and not your life style. I was upset about that hype in the press that was misleading. Of course, it is clear that the more divisions, the higher the probability of mutations. They just showed it by statistical analysis. No argument about that. Similarly, chronic infections cause lymphocytes to divide a lot to clear the infection, and this can cause several lymphomas (AIDS-related lymphoma or HCV-related lymphoma etc).
I just want people to understand that smoking is really bad and when the carcinogens from smoke are present in your cells during cell divisions they can do a lot of harm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago #47922 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic What is on the Front Page Today
If you read the material (and lots of the other summaries) carefully, you will see that the authors are NOT saying that you should smoke. In fact, they carefully point out that smoking and other factors do contribute to cancers. What they ARE saying is that the majority of cancers cannot be attributed to such things. AND the more rapidly the cells are dividing, the more likely random events can affect them as can the presence of carcinogens such as are found in cigarette smoke.

During my research career (a part of my deep, dark past) I did a lot of investigation of the developing brain. During periods of high rates of division of neuronal cells, the brain was especially vulnerable to "mistakes." Thus it is entirely logical that cells which are rapidly dividing are more likely to encounter errors along the way.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 3 months ago #47921 by fighterm
Replied by fighterm on topic What is on the Front Page Today
I read several media interpretations of this particular research, and I don't like it. The media interpretation is it's bad luck, but not smoking or other life style factors. That's wrong. To explain it simply is that when a cell is dividing its DNA is exposed and it can easier mutate in the presence of carcinogens than in the absence. It's very simple. So, yes, the more often cells divide the higher risk of cancer. But add carcinogens in the mix, you have even more cancer. Besides, it's well documented that smoking is linked to 15 cancers. So, I hope the bladder cancer patients will not start smoking after reading this nonsense from reporters.

9 years 3 months ago #47919 by sara.anne
What is on the Front Page Today was created by sara.anne
This is a non-scientific explanation of what has been in the news the last few days.

time.com/3650194/most-cancer-is-beyond-your-control-breakthrough-study-finds/?xid=newsletter-brief

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne