Another Bladder Cancer hits the News

12 years 6 months ago #39832 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic Another Bladder Cancer hits the News
High grade? No BCG? No radiation? A quick little surgery? I really don't think it was high grade. And I don't think they gave the whole story!

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #39831 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Another Bladder Cancer hits the News
Wow... that's a very impressive genealogy project. That book in the beautiful box is truly a treasure. I have dug into my heritage over the past several months on Ancestry.com. I seem to be from good British/Irish/Scottish farming mountain folks.

Are you "Little Al" in that 1960 photo? I worked with a guy briefly in the mid-80's named Noyes in Kirksville, MO. I'd never heard that name before and haven't met another since.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #39827 by Allan
Replied by Allan on topic Another Bladder Cancer hits the News
I know that, I am probably related to him.

www.noyesgenealogy.com

I have traced my genealogy back more than 1000 years, I am decedents of Iron age Danes and Vikings and the sovereign princes of Wales. Related to 2 presidents and even Col. Daniel Boone so that and 2 bits won't buy me a cup of coffee.

The King of Norway will move the BC issue forward how?

12 years 6 months ago #39823 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Another Bladder Cancer hits the News
Doug was actually quite ticked at the way bladder cancer was discussed in the article...but just glad that the coach did come forward. I agree, Catherine, that he probably does not want to appear weak, so just fluffed it off like it is nothing and done with. We all know that is not true.

Anita

PS Allan, the king of Norway has had bladder cancer and a cystectomy. You might want to read about him. Our friend Knut is from Norway and joins us on the chats Sunday evenings.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #39821 by Allan
Replied by Allan on topic Another Bladder Cancer hits the News
I haven't done it yet, but if I did research on the age that BC first is DX'D I would most likely find it to consist of older or "retired" people right?

If I further expound on this yet unproven theory, I would venture to guess that it becomes a disease of "not my problem" I'll worry about it when I am old.

Believing that the age does indeed affect an older population, this may explain why it is somewhat off the radar, because old people don't necessarily catch the symptoms, stubbornly may not treat the disease and then die quickly without much notice.

Unfortunately, it may take a President or famous movie star to get a full blown aggressive case and lose their organs to bring much need attention and seed money into getting the word out or funding research.

In my voluminous reading of late, BC can strike anyone at any age.

I am very interested in the science that is actually cloning or growing new bladders from the persons own viable tissue as an example. Or how about a mechanical bladder? I am just saying.

I did not even know BC existed unit it struck me.

12 years 6 months ago #39820 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Another Bladder Cancer hits the News
Allan and Catherine, that was exactly my reaction...guess I was a bit subtle in posting this. When I saw that he had "surgery" I just assumed RC..and then noted that it had been just two weeks ago!!! Guess I don't REALLY consider a TURB a "surgery" any more than the endoscopy/biopsy taking I had a month ago. Anesthesia, yes, a bit of cutting yes, but home the same day...(after lunch at a neat restaurant first.)

AND "cured" doesn't really tell the story, I agree.

I am going to TRY once again to get a story on bladder cancer in our local paper...the Oregonian. Maurice Lucas, former Portland Trail Blazer and assistant coach, died of bladder cancer just a year ago. I tried then...talked to the health editor....NADA.
People NEED to know about this beast.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne