Study on RC and the elderly

12 years 9 months ago #38635 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Study on RC and the elderly
absolutely no need to apologize to me...i consider it a valuable profession and i'm not the least bit offended by it.
i even took some pre-med but my father was pretty old school about women working in a male dominated profession. If i'd had money and more guts i would have continued. Times were different.
As he got older he changed his mind about it and always regretted that he didn't support me.
No problem...look at all the fun i got myself into when i got out of the profession completely. I was always one to go into any door that was open!!
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #38630 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Study on RC and the elderly
So sorry to have confused what both Pat and Sara Anns degrees are in. I guess I thought you both were pharmacists and just didn't think about it. Pat, I too am very concerned at the types or prescription drugs we are all getting. Many times they are contamintated and we just don't know about it. The fortunate people who don't get sicker are just that fortunate. Again, apologies offered to you both not knowing what your degrees are in. Me? I am a mammographer and was on graduation a Nuclear Medicine Technologist. I also have a background in medicine but not as a pharmacologist that's for sure. Very impressive. I have relatives via marriage who are also Pharm D degree'd and they have interesting jobs. Anyway, I appreciate as I am sure many on the board both of your info.

12 years 9 months ago #38628 by jimswife
Whoa, so sorry about the confusion. I guess I didn't really think about what you had written. Of course one is different than the other. Again, apologies offered.

12 years 9 months ago #38609 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Study on RC and the elderly
I too am not a pharmacist not that there's anything wrong with that. I have a degree in Pharmacology as did my father...a Pharm.D......He was the Regional Mgr. for the Upjohn Company and the youngest to boot at 38yrs of age for 40yrs before he retired.
I also worked for Upjohn. When my father retired to Florida and was driving my Mother nuts she suggested he take the state exam in Fl as he was licensed in Ohio. That made him learn the computer and he got his license with a perfect score and was also the oldest to ever pass the exam in Fl. He worked part time in a Pharmacy near his home in Apopka, a suburb of Orlando and the stories he told. Everyone should be so lucky to have someone of his caliber behind that counter dispensing the correct drugs...you would be amazed how many times the doctor confused names of drugs but my dad was so smart he knew what was supossed to be written. He was truly amazing. He even got an offer from another pharmacy located within a grocery store that paid much higher than the store he was at but he lasted 3 weeks. I asked him why. His reply was that they were buying the cheapest drugs available that he would never allow his family to take. He was as smart as any doctor i've ever met and maybe smarter. The downside to that is he always diagnosed us but his best friends were also the best doctors. I was very very proud of him. I grew up reading medical journals...didn't everyone?
Its a very proud profession and he was one of a kind who could do his own compounding because thats what you had to know how to do back in the day. All the ethical pharaceutical houses were in the US....greed took over..everything became generic.....now we get everything from India and China and boy i really trust that and one wonders why the FDA cannot do their job properly........doh. I see 5 to 6 recalls on name drugs a month...and have been lucky enough to receive some of them..one the last time i was in the hospital where the Jantoven 3mg (warfarin) was really 10mg..and earlier in the year a script for generic Keflex which was cross-contaminated with lord knows what but made a lovely rash. Even i cannot keep up with it!!
He played a mean game of golf also...won the Seniors in Ohio the year he retired.

12 years 9 months ago #38608 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Study on RC and the elderly
NO NO NO

I am a pharmacologist. Pharmacists deal with the dispensing of drug; a pharmacologist is a type of biochemist who studies the mechanism of action of drugs!!!

SA

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 9 months ago #38607 by jimswife
Ahhh, like our friend Pat you are a pharmacist? How neat is that?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne