Impact of gender on bladder cancer incidence

12 years 10 months ago #38210 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Impact of gender on bladder cancer incidence
at least they're acknowledging it....
but i agree with you.
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #38209 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Impact of gender on bladder cancer incidence
Thanks for bringing this to our attention....BUT
What else is new? It has been known for some time that women are diagnosed later (blood in the urine is not an alarming symptom to them) and that later diagnosis leads to poorer outcomes.

I have never been a fan of epidemiological research. You get some student or post-doc to pour over the past literature, combine apples to oranges, and come out with such earth-shattering news.
What I REALLY "liked" about this one was the statement:

The disparity between genders is proposed to be the result of a differences exposure to carcinogens (i.e., tobacco and chemicals) as well as reflective of genetic, anatomic, hormonal, societal, and environmental factors. Explanations for the differential behavior of bladder cancer between genders include sex steroids and their receptors as well as inferior quality of care for women (inpatient length of stay, referral patterns, and surgical outcomes).

This statement is interesting, could contain a lot of truth, but is based on ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIMENTAL EVIDENCE from these investigators. Easy/peasy.

Not ranting at you, Pat....I think it is important to have these things brought to our attention....just wish there were more REAL research being done.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 10 months ago #38208 by Patricia
Impact of gender on bladder cancer incidence, staging, and prognosis.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21656173
Women getting the short end of the stick?
pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne