Impact of p53 overexpression on recurrence & BCG

13 years 2 weeks ago #37655 by Patricia
Back in 2002 i had my repeat TURB at Memorial Sloan as many of you know....what i didn't know was that 30 university and cancer hospitals were participating in determining P53 alterations. USC/Norris headed the study and all samples were sent there. I remember Dr. Stein telling me i had normal P53 expression. I wasn't sure what the heck that meant at the time as i was just learning all the terminology and coming to terms with invasive bladder cancer. I didn't know it but i was part of the cutting edge of this...no pun intended. Another reason to go to a center that treats lots and lots of bladder cancer. And if you don't you should ask your uro to have your tumor analyzed for altered P53 expression. Makes sense to me.
I know when i got my diagnosis last year of breast cancer it was a given that my tumor be sent for analysis to California for an oncotype...gene expression. That really helps in making a decision of whats next for you.
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 weeks ago #37654 by Cynthia
A Six-Week Course of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Prophylaxis Is Insufficient to Prevent Tumor Recurrence in Nonmuscle Invasive Bladder Cancer with Strong-Positive Expression of p53.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21487231

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne