Intravenously administered vit.C as cancer therapy

13 years 8 months ago #34054 by Patricia
and i love this one
I went to Mr. Google in 2010 and entered … Alternative Medicine … and clicked — 41,200,000 results; entered Complementary and Alternative Medicine, click — 3,210,000 results; entered CAM, click — 191,000,000 results, but that’s not fair; CAM can stand for many unrelated topics.

Let’s try quackery on Mr. Google, click — “only” 818,000 results
:P
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #34053 by Nix
Thanks for posting the both site, Pat. I found both to be very interesting. I guess it is "human nature" to hope that easy accessible vitamin supplements can help keep all kinds of undesirable illnesses away......even though it is almost always proven (later) that it is not the case, and the very supplements taken, can cause great harm.

Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

13 years 8 months ago #34052 by Patricia
WEll YEAH...he manufactures and sells them.
And one must be careful of filling the body with non-soluable vitamins.....the overdose will kill you potentially.
I have found this amazing blog which was listed this week in NY Times Magazine section in the Diagnosis section...
www.kevinmd.com
apparently many of the doctors use it when stumped.
look at this article
scienceblogs.com/insolence/2008/03/death_by_supplements.php

Pat (i know you will like this sara anne)

13 years 8 months ago #34051 by martin
I agree. This is only a case. Vitamin C in Cancer is a controversial topic. There were studies that it did not help end stage patients at all. However, in this case Vitamin C helped to avoid recurrence and progression and for most BC this is the most important.

But my view is enforced by Dr. Lamm who suggests taking high doses of vitamin supplements:

"Vitamin Supplementation

Epidemiologic, in vitro, and animal model studies have suggested that various vitamins, including vitamins A, B6, C, and E, may have a protective or even therapeutic effect in many cancers, including bladder cancer. Immunotherapy can markedly alter vitamin metabolism. In patients given interleukin-2 immunotherapy, serum vitamin C levels were depressed to undetectable levels in 12 of 15 patients [38],and 60% of patients were found to be hypovitaminemic for vitamin A, 80% for beta-carotene, 90% for vitamin B6, and 45% for folate [39].

We evaluated long-term administration of recommended daily allowance (RDA) multivitamins alone vs RDA multivitamins plus high doses of vitamins A, B6, C, and E in 65 BCG-treated patients with superficial transitional-cell carcinoma, one-third of whom had CIS. In this randomized double-blind study, high-dose vitamin administration (Oncovite, Mission Pharmacal) was associated with a 40% long-term reduction in tumor recurrence (P < 0.02) [40]. While natural killer cell activity was not significantly elevated following BCG therapy in patients receiving RDA vitamins, it was significantly increased in those receiving high-dose vitamins [40].

These remarkable results, which exceed the benefit currently reported with intravesical chemotherapy in superficial bladder cancer, need to be independently evaluated, but I currently recommend high-dose vitamin supplementation for all my bladder cancer patients. "

Source: www.cancernetwork.com/display/article/10165/95998?pageNumber=3

T1G2
TUR 05/10/2010

13 years 8 months ago #34038 by sara.anne
We need to be a little cautious in evaluating these data. As the authors point out, the purpose of the Best Case Study (where they analyze a seemingly unexpected single episode) is to suggest areas where further research might be productive, ie, ascorbic acid therapy. It does NOT prove that this is a currently effective therapy.

As the authors state:
"These cases were analyzed in accordance with the NCI's Best Case Series process, which reports and interprets apparent responses to alternative therapies.23,24 Apart from its implications regarding vitamin C, this article illustrates the use of the Best Case Series approach in assessing the clinical plausibility of novel therapies. None of these case histories provides definitive proof that intravenous vitamin C therapy was responsible for the patient's unusually favourable clinical course. It is often difficult to prove definitively that a given treatment is responsible for a specific clinical outcome. When the treatment is unorthodox, alternative explanations, even if highly unlikely, tend to be preferred.38,39 However, although they do not provide grounds for advocating intravenous vitamin C therapy as a cancer treatment, these cases increase the clinical plausibility of the notion that vitamin C administered intravenously might have effects on cancer under certain circumstances."

SA

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 8 months ago #34034 by martin
For those who like alternative routes.

Intravenously administered vitamin C as cancer therapy: three cases
Sebastian J. Padayatty, Hugh D. Riordan, Stephen M. Hewitt, Arie Katz, L. John Hoffer and Mark Levine

www.ecmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/174/7/937

An excerpt from the article:

A 49-year-old man presented to his physician in 1996 with hematuria and was found at cystoscopy to have a primary bladder tumour with multiple satellite tumours extending 2–3 cm around it. Transurethral resection of the primary tumour and its surrounding tumour satellites was carried out until apparently normal muscle was reached and the tumour base was fulgurated. The patient declined systemic or intravesical chemotherapy or radiotherapy and instead chose intravenous vitamin C treatment. He received 30 g of vitamin C twice per week for 3 months, followed by 30 g once every 1–2 months for 4 years, interspersed with periods of 1–2 months during which he had more frequent infusions. Histopathologic review at the NIH revealed a grade 3/3 papillary transitional cell carcinoma invading the muscularis propria. Now, 9 years after diagnosis, the patient is in good health with no symptoms of recurrence or metastasis. The patient used the following supplements: botanical extract, chondroitin sulfate, chromium picolinate, flax oil, glucosamine sulfate, -lipoic acid, Lactobacillus acidophilus and L. rhamnosus and selenium

T1G2
TUR 05/10/2010

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne