Common Virus to kill Cancer

13 years 8 months ago #34058 by Vertigo99
Replied by Vertigo99 on topic Common Virus to kill Cancer
This is an interesting topic. Since mapping the genome, biomarkers have become of key scientific and clinical interest as we strive toward personalised medicine. Unfortunately, the minefield we know as science must be carefully navigated before findings can be adopted by clinical practice. Good publication practice is clearly part of this process as is the regulation of clinical trials and the transparent and timely publication of results (good, bad or indifferent). With biologics, cytotoxics and the advent of small molecules there are more compounds than ever under investigation in oncology; who knows how few will make it to the clincial setting? We do know, however, the journey from molecule to medicine a long one and credible publications are part of this journey--they form travel journal of tomorrow's medicine. Porridge may not be much to look at but, like any hearty breakfast, it can set you up for the rest of the journey. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #34041 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Common Virus to kill Cancer
Pat, I hate to tell you this, but a lot of what we read in SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS is porridge!! Publish or perish. You cannot do a study, spend government, university, or industry money on it, and then say "this probably has no real significance." That would be instant professional death. So, you publish it.

SA

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 8 months ago #34039 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Common Virus to kill Cancer
Thanks Sara Anne...i mean i understand the principal of the thing.......but we need to do more Oncotyping like they do in breast cancer.......i mean there is a ton of stuff out there but it appears...and it disappears. I mean which hospital is going to do these tests on a routine basis..??
Hypermethylation of E-cadherin, p16, p14, and RASSF1A genes in pathologically normal urothelium predict bladder recurrence of bladder cancer after transurethral resection -
www.urotoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_ua&id=2231641
Sometimes i'm sure my brain has turned to porridge!
Pat

13 years 8 months ago #34037 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Common Virus to kill Cancer
Pat, that was quite a challenge....I am NOT a molecular geneticist..but...
First, a couple general comments. The article from the drug company mentions that they have applied it to head/neck cancer, but that this isn't an "economically viable" condition to support the complete development of the new therapy. The old "orphan drug" issue again...but scary when you think of the number of people with head/neck cancer!

Next, I really found the 1992 speech by Maxine Singer interesting. She was a fantastic scientist, and a real inspiration to all women scientists, and a friend of my boss at NIH!

Basically, to try to translate, this ras gene controlls the power supply for the making of a very important regulatory protein. (Maybe some of the more biochemically oriented of us remember learning about ATP in the cells where ATP loses one phophate to become ADP and the energy in the chemical bond that is released fuels the cell machinery...in the nucleus where the DNA is, GTP --GDP performs the same function.) So, if you disrupt the ras gene, you unplug the energy supply to the nucleus of the cell, and turn off the lights!!

Clear as mud?

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 8 months ago #34033 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Common Virus to kill Cancer
hmmmm..all i got was "blah, blah, blah"..so much for my expertise and this was written in 1992 and relates to colon cancers........but i got lost in it! Sara Anne..you should be able to get this one!!
www.accessexcellence.org/RC/AB/BA/Ras_Gene_and_Cancer.php
pat

13 years 8 months ago #34031 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Common Virus to kill Cancer
Well , definitely not cut out to break into the world of cellular sciene yet - I thought I was muddled before, now BEFUDDLED!!
Had a skoot around on Internet and found an article that was a bit easier to understand on the definition of RAS. I·m sorry I don·t know how to post a link, but maybe someone else can do it - I went into Google and from there found the article "The RAS Gene and Cancer" which explained things pretty well.
Diane

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne