White light cystoscopy misses 30% plus of tumors

14 years 5 months ago #29090 by egtmcsq
well slap me stupid and call me mary
i did,nt know that,
cheers,

ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #29089 by Patricia
Ian...Hexvix found 30% more CIS than traditional white light.
blcwebcafe.org/content/view/93/103/lang,english/
Pat

14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #29084 by egtmcsq
very good point pat,i would and do travel to recieve this treatment,its not to my knowledge been rolled out across the uk yet,in fact i,m on the treatment trial that will determined whether it will be,..........i think it will,
yes the dye has to go in 1 hour before your put out,all but one of my operations has been a rigid cysto all under ga,most unfortunatly with many recures,so i,m in for a day sometimes two,depending on what happens in there,so the scheduling has,nt been a problem,but i understand it might not be the same for everyone,
must admit one of my concerns at first was that there is a risk the blue light cant pick up CIS,but most of the modern machines have duel systems,which they switch to,
just befor my last clear they found two very small pap tumours at the base near the uretha,which had re-seeded from a previous
turbt,when they switched from blue to white they could not see them,

ian

14 years 5 months ago #29080 by Patricia
Ian...
It really doesn't depend on the keen eye of the surgeon..this particular report was from Memorial Sloan and Dr. Harry Herr one of the most renown bladder cancer surgeons and if they missed 35% of tumors at MSK with white light imagine how many may be missed at local uro offices or other places not used to seeing much bladder cancer? I hate to think?
Hexvix has been used abroad for some time and has only come up for approval by the FDA here this year. Major cancer centers are using it. One of the reasons they don't like it is the dye has to be put in 1 hr. ahead of time...a scheduling nightmare they haven't figured out probably.
Personally if i were just being diagnosed i would demand it and go wherever they had it. Who else can make a difference but the patient?
Pat

14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #29078 by egtmcsq
wow 30% seems very high,of course it would depend on how keen eyed the surgeon was in the first place,
i never really realized that a surgeon could face practicle difficultys in tumour removal, untill i had a number in the base of the bladder,where it meets the uretha this can be an area which would be easy to miss smaller pap type tumours, simply because there is a degree of difficulties in turning arround in there,the closer to the neck the harder it is,the blue light is able to highlight reseeded tumours from previouse surgerys,
sorry i didnt register to read this article,but i did plenty of my own research on it before i joined a treatment trial useing hexvix (blue light),and wendy was a big support to me of course,
the other thing is its not an all or nothing scenario the modern machines can switch fron blue to white in a second,but you do have to have the dye put in before surgery,

ian

14 years 5 months ago #29074 by Patricia
www.urotoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_ua&id=2226131
free to register and view
this from Memorial Sloan and Dr. Harry Herr
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne