Medicines to Deter Some Cancers are not Taken

14 years 5 months ago #28843 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Medicines to Deter Some Cancers are not Taken
Good article.I can understand the reluctance anyone would have to taking medication to prevent cancer, particularly if they hadn·t come across cancer in their family, or close friends, until it happens to you, you think it only happens to other people.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #28836 by Julie
I don't remember reading anything about cottage cheese as a cancer preventative. Most recommendations on diet will emphasize fruits and vegetables preferably organic usually the cruciform vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower; complex carbohydrates as found in whole grains and beans, dairy for calcium and Vitamin D. There has been recent reports of how important Vitamin D is. Also curcumin which is found in turmeric used daily it is an anti-inflammatory as well as the Omega 3 oils found in fish and flax.
We have not had much discussion of nutrition on the forum so I don't know if anyone is researching diet as a way of preventing cancer on this forum.
I would be interested to see where you read about cottage cheese.
Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #28829 by vgau
I will have to go back and find the article, but this talked about ways to prevent cancer and also ways to keep it from coming back. There were testimonials, etc. That is where I read about the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil. I did so much research in the beginning that I'm not sure I will find the article. I just cut and pasted like crazy from several things I read.

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

14 years 6 months ago #28816 by Julie
Some people are looking to better nutrition to help stave off a recurrence. I don't know if anyone has done any research on that but many are cutting down on meat and eating more fruits and vegetables and adding more food supplements. But it's after the fact of cancer not in preventing an onset.

I think the way American's eats is becoming more and more unhealthy. Fat, salt and sugar are tastes we like but we can get too much of a good thing.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

14 years 6 months ago #28808 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Medicines to Deter Some Cancers are not Taken
This article was syndicated in my local paper. And Vgau, there is a difference between medications that specifically deter cancer (ie, tamoxifin) and diet.

Mike, in a reply to someone on another topic, pointed out that the time for changes in diet to have an effect on cancer would have been 20 years before the cancer developed. While a good, healthy diet is never a bad thing, the idea that specific items in the diet can "cure" cancer has pretty flimsy evidence.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

14 years 6 months ago #28805 by vgau
I was able to read the entire article without any problems.

This was one of the first things I researched and may have even asked about when I joined. I am currently eating 1/2 c. cottage cheese with 1-2 tsp. Flaxseed oil daily. Now I am concerned and will probably try to do some more research on this.

When I asked my doctor about diet, his answer was that there just was not any medical proof about anything in particular to help.

Vi

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne