Bladder Cancer Survival Rate

14 years 7 months ago #27758 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Bladder Cancer Survival Rate
Pick any point you want and it can be proven (and disproven) with statistics. ;)

For example, if I take that guy with 15 years as my sample size, I can say that the 15 year survival rate is 100%.

It all depends on the point you are trying to prove.
However, I think it is probably one of the first things that many of us started looking for when first diagnosed.

The problem is there are so many variables and you don't know right off the bat what point they were trying to prove.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #27753 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Bladder Cancer Survival Rate
bcfighter - I agree whole heartedly with you...I don't like stats because they pull from info. all over the place; seems they are never able to get specifics...they can't seem to pull together all that factors in...age, general health, medical options available, when dx'd, genetics, attitude, etc. so I seldome look at stats.

When I was first dx'd I looked at something that talked about making it to the 5 year mark then you were considered in remission. And I thought, well, do I really want to go thru all the chemo and surgery knowing I might not make it more than five years. It was then I found something on this website (then the bladdercafe) that was written by a guy who had 15 years behind him. That news gave me hope. We have to have hope and I think stats do more harm than good. :angry:

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #27745 by bcfighter
Replied by bcfighter on topic Bladder Cancer Survival Rate
I was at a seminar for folks with RC's up at the Univ of Penn and Dr.Malkowicz was the speaker that evening just updating everyone on different things with bladder cancer. When he was done there were about 50 of us there we all introduced ourselves and I went first and at the time had 25 months being cancer free, then a lady went next and she had 15 yrs in I was thrilled for her. So just to make a longer story shorter there were 2 yrs, 5 yrs, 7 yrs, 9yrs, and then this older guy stood up and he said he now had 18 yrs in and inside me I thought I hope thats me someday. I don't like or never did like percentages on this or that because that's the way I am. When you hear these folks speak of their years being cancer free it really gives you hope and that's all we have anyway.
I live my life I don't let cancer control it and I have no idea of what will happen to me but I am fighting to stay around for as long as I can and I just live my life day by day.

14 years 8 months ago #27581 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Bladder Cancer Survival Rate
Darn Pat I was just about to post this. I thought for once I could beet you to the punch.:woohoo: I think it is a great article. talk to you later.

Char

14 years 8 months ago #27579 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Bladder Cancer Survival Rate
5 yr. survival rate for women 72%...corresponding to a 10 yr survival rate for men.
We're diagnosed too late. This is a UK estimate
www.urotoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_ua&id=2224172
free to register and read
Pat

14 years 8 months ago #27576 by mmc
Bladder Cancer Survival Rate was created by mmc
cancer.emedtv.com/bladder-cancer/bladder-cancer-survival-rate.html

Has stats. I know I was hunting for this when I was first diagnosed. Didn't find it then although the article is dated July 2006.

Also of note is that it is based on when people are "FIRST" diagnosed. I would imagine that survival rates are somewhat higher for people who are at one stage when diagnosed and progress since they are being much more closely monitored that someone who had never been diagnosed.

Of course, numbers are just numbers....but I know that I wanted to know them and I assume that some others would as well...hence the posting here.

Mike

In the immortal words of Commander Spock: Live long and prosper!
In the immortal words of Doctor Spock: Maybe I should have had kids before telling everyone how to raise theirs. (Oops, he didn't say that, I did)

:woohoo: Just in a bit of a goofy mood today :woohoo:

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne