Are the right research projects being funded?

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26529 by mmc
Great post Sara Anne!

Very well said. It's certainly tough.
In industry, what is sometimes done is to apportion a percentage to each of the categories. For example, from an IT budget perspective, you have three or four categories:
-a. Keep the business running (aka keep the lights on)
-b. Mandatory regulatory/legal/compliance
-c. Discretionary enhancements/improvements/new capability (evolutionary change).
-d. Innovation (revolutionary change)

Many times a and b are lumped together because there is really no choice. Typically, the budget spend is 80% in a, or between a and b. Another 15% get spent in c with the remaining 5% in d. As in your example, d is where the big potential for huge returns is but it is also the highest risk.

The really innovative companies, flip the spend by driving down costs of a and further investing in d (20/80) which then helps them even further drive down a.

Maybe someday a similar paradigm could work with research of this type. Invest is ways to make the ongoing research better/cheaper/faster (not just by cutting funds/people).

Anyway....just random thoughts. :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #26528 by Julie
Thank you Sara Anne for giving us a view of how the decisions are made and what some of the constraints are. I think the general feeling we have is that bladder cancer is not getting a proportionate share of the research dollar for the number of people who have bladder cancer. As the 4th most common cancer for men and 5th over all it doesn't seem to get nearly the funding that other cancers get. It seems that the cancers that receive the most publicity receive the most research funding.
There does seem to be some promising research with other cancers that might benefit Bladder Cancer patients but I don't think much research is being done to see if Transitional Cell Carcinoma would respond.

My husband was a Grant Administrator before he retired and I know that there are a large number of variables that need to be considered when deciding what to fund. I would hardly see him for two months when the team was reading the grant applications and meeting to decide what would get not nearly enough dollars. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

14 years 10 months ago #26526 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Are the right research projects being funded?
This is what I posted on another cancer (not Blc) about this article:

Thank you for noting the NYT article on NIH funding. I worked in the research
grant area at NIH for a number of years in my deep dark past and just have to
make some comments.

The article is right-on in many ways. BUT if it were only so easy to identify truly
innovative research. 90% of research scientists will insist that their proposals are
truly innovative, ground breaking, absolutely necessary. And, as you can imagine,
most are not. It is relatively easy to identify many that are mundane, and several
mentioned in the article are very typical of that kind.

Imagine that you are reviewing 200 grant proposals for a limited pot of money as a
scientist working on a review panel for NIH. About 10% can be disapproved off the
bat because they are so flawed that there is no chance of a meaningful result, even
if the money is awarded. About half are not "fatally flawed" but do not show innovation
or promise of anything new or especially significant. These are approved, but with low
priority and are unlikely to meet the funding area.

Now you are faced with a still large number of grant applications which show some
promise....many more than the available funds will support. Some of these are continuations
of work that has been supported and are showing some results. Some are proposals
of new research efforts that follow along expected lines, that will probably have some success
and which will add significantly to what we already know. Then there are a few (more than
the money available) which are "far out."... IF they worked it would really be exciting (!!!) but
with absolutely no evidence that the idea would work out. Here is where reviewers truly
agonize and wish that SOMEHOW there was some preliminary data that indicates that at
least all the experimental animals wouldn't die in the first week!!!

OK. You now have a group of applications that you would love to see funded...and only enough
money for 25% (in a good year) of these. Do you a. continue funding ongoing research which
is closer to finding results? b. recommend funding for new projects along lines that have been
successful in the past? c. provide money to a project which COULD be truly innovative/exciting
but which the odds say is a real gamble? Remember that option "c" would mean closing down
the projects in a. or not starting b. This would probably mean that the scientist with a. would end
up letting a number of his/her technicians and graduate students go.

It ain't easy making these decisions. Articles such as this one in the NYT seem to lead us to think
that selecting "breakthrough" projects is routine. Just think of the number of treatments for cancer that have not panned out, although hopes were high at the beginning. If we could just have known
from the start which would have worked and which wouldn't, think of the money, time, lives that
could have been saved.

And the answer is not always to throw more money into the pot. Yes, more money does mean more
research...but until the science is there all the money in the world won't cure us. It will just fund more
mundane, routine stuff. Perhaps the best idea, as mentioned in the article, is a limited amount of
money set aside for risky ideas.

Sorry for the length, but need to "vent" a bit

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

14 years 10 months ago #26517 by Webs
I believe that the rich and famous find this disease embarrassing. Until it becomes the in thing they will not admit to having it.

I had another conversation with someone I met in my Oncologist office the other day. They asked what type of cancer I had and were surprised when I said bladder. They said, "Isn't that a rare one?" If I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me or "I thought only men got that" I could fund my own research project. It is frustrating to know that we are so unknown.

Webs

14 years 10 months ago #26510 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Are the right research projects being funded?
I·m with you, especially on the emphasis on early diagnosis. It still surprises me how few people I meet who have even heard of bladder cancer, let alone know what the symptoms are. We really are the forgotten ones. Considering how common blc is,I often wonder why there are so few high profile celebrities championing our cause, particularly to raise awareness, as there must be many celebrities whose lives have been affected by blc.

14 years 10 months ago #26507 by Julie
I know that in scientific research it is important to replicate the original research but enough is enough. Time to move on to the next project. There is some research on bladder cancer very little of it is concentrated on metastatic bladder cancer. I want two things, more money spend on bladder cancer research and more emphasis on early diagnosis. I have now read about too many people whose Dr. ignored blood in urine or thought it was something else until the cancer was invasive when diagnosed.
Prevention doesn't need to be ignored but it isn't my priority right now. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne