Tattoos being used for medical alerts

14 years 11 months ago #25822 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Tattoos being used for medical alerts
So....maybe a tattoo of a url (website address) explaining what a neobladder, Indiana Pouch, etc. and why it makes a difference. :)

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 1 day ago #25795 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic Tattoos being used for medical alerts
Too funny! When I heard of this I also said to my husband - what kind of tattoo would explain an Indiana Pouch?? Thanks for the idea - I like the circle and arrow best! :laugh: Gracie

15 years 2 days ago #25787 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Tattoos being used for medical alerts
I prefer my non-toxic magic marker with circles drawn around my stoma..stoma being the bullseye. I'm sure they would still miss it. If i had an emergency around here and all they knew was an Indiana Pouch they'd all be rushing to the computer to figure out what it was! We're a bit backwoods that way!:unsure: Pat

15 years 2 days ago #25785 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Tattoos being used for medical alerts

At 70 I guess I'm a little old fashion. I'd want the tattoo in a little less obvious place. :laugh: And, maybe with a little more descriptive art work, like a catheter woven around a sword in place of the traditional snake.

But as you think about this tattoo idea it does have possibilities. For those of you with stomas, you could have an arrow with a tatto saying "cath here". For those of us with neos, no tattoo necessary or maybe one that says cath in normal manner!

Sorry I couldn't resist. I have a grand daugther of 18 wanting a tattoo. I keep telling her to think about what that tattoo is going to look like when she's my age and where the tattoo will have migrated to! :)

On a serious note, I wear a medic alert bracelet and am a wood worker. And, the bracelet does get in the way upon occasion and present a hazard around shop tools. I now take it off when I go into the shop. So I would consider a tattoo given that it could be done in a tasteful manner and location - which I am sure can be done.

Gordon

p.s. Why are there two O's in tattoo? Seems like one would be enough. :dry:

age 70
Dx 10/03
neobladder 9/4/04

15 years 2 days ago #25777 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Tattoos being used for medical alerts
Hi Cynthia,
I can·t open this link to read it, but I think the idea of a tattoo is great, provided the medics decided on a standard part of the body on which to look for it.
Diane

15 years 3 days ago #25770 by Cynthia

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne